Help with bsods

Status
Not open for further replies.

toto warrior

If you see this post in the devices section you will notice that i'm a newbie and i didnt see the section for bsod problems. And the reason this post is so long is coz i'm at a university computer and i dont have internet at home...joy...
Hey there everyone, so im new to this forum so hey all! After frequent googling for solutions to BSODs and error codes i thought i might as well try a forum to find some answers and seeing as this one helped me with another prob i thought that cpc2004 could help me by looking over my mini.dump files. I've seen you help many a folk with analyzing their mini dumps. If its not too much to ask...and anyone else's help is also welcome may we all POST in peace thanks all.

By the way my pc components are as follows
E2160 at 1.8Ghz
GA-G31M-S2L( bios f7)
4gig muskin ddr2 800 (2*2gig)
xfx 9800gt
1 ide 30 gig
1 sata 120 gig
1 sata 500gig
1 dvd-rom, writer
500W Gigabyte psu
vista 32 bit
Basically what happens is that my pc wont post sometimes. It just starts up all fans spinning but it just stays on black screen. So i open up and take out my g card to reseat it and reseat both ram sticks, turn it back on and it starts up and all is good.Been doing this for months now, thought i'd live with it as i could still play games nicely(COHOF).

Lately tho i've been getting regular bsods and non-posts with different code's showing up, like 0x0D1 and 0x0A with USB.Sys Address and others i cant remember. The bsods happen when its just idling on desktop or when i'm watching an avi. I tried my friends alpha dog 8800gt and ran 3dmark 06 and all went fine, but i didnt leave the card in their for too long as he needed back. Tried my 9800gt and ran 3dmark 06 and a bsod occured. So i thought it was my gcard, so i tried my pc with just onboard graphics and it did not bsod at all when idling or watching an avi. Then i tried my old 6600Le g card and it started up fine and idled fine, but once when i paused(relevant?) the avi it bsoded with an 0x7f code:
BCCode: 7f
BCP1: 00000005
BCP2: 00000000
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
This has happened only once, but with this card in my pc is already more stable as it starts up fine and no regular bsods like with my 9800gt in. Oh and i've tried different nvidia drivers from 178.13 to 181.22 with no luck...
And if anyone was wondering i have tested both my ram sticks with memtest86+ 2.1 at least 2 hours in all possible configurations with the ram sticks and it showed no errors. And i've tried with xp and vista with clean installs. BTW no bsods while installing os's...Thanks for the help all Feels good to talk it out with a forum.

Are you running Daemon Tools or a version of Alcohol? The driver sptd.sys was noted and we have had a number of people have issues with Daemon Tools.

If you have either one I would recommend a complete uninstall to see if it brings stability.

Ah

I do have daemon tools installed...that could be the issue, i will try an uninstall and see if all is good. But the fact remains that when my xfx 9800gt is not in my pc my pc has not had any(cept one weird one that has not happened again) bsod. And it is running more stabily now than ever. This has started happeing regularly, for this still leads me to believe its g card related, is that when in the booting screens(directly after a bsod) all the words and colours are just not normal, there is something like artifacing in my booting up screens and then it just freezes and i have to hard restart...i thought it was my temps running to hot, but i did research and saw that 72-75C when idling is fine for my g-card, and when playing games it goes up to 80C. My fan speed is on auto so it adjusts the speed of it according to the heat...

The Daemon Tools driver that I listed was cited in your minidumps as the cause of your issues. As far as your video card artifacting is something that shouldn't be.

Have you tested your power suplly to see if it is cranking out the power you need?

By the way, 80c = 176f Is this still a safe parameter for temps on this card?

I got this a few times with my old gigabyte DS3 when i was overclocking it.Blank screen in games and still getting sound.Think it was the gpu in error putting out a higher res than my monitor could handle. A tad more voltage on the MCH fixed the problem for good.Also check that the ram voltage is plus .2 as these gigabyte boards undervolt the ram at stock settings.Could be a weak or failing power supply too.Power supplies are probably the most failure prone piece hardware in a pc.
Oh and those NV drivers are known to cause bsod in certain conditions.I was getting it with my gtx280 when playing arma.Something to do with an infinite loop between the cpu and gpu which eventually crashes the pc.I changed up to 182.08 whql then 182.50 whql and things have been perfect ever since.

uninstalled daemon tools and so far everything is okay, have stressed it with 3dmark06 and usually it would bsod but it got thru it all:). Happiness alround!! But incase it does bsod again how ould one test a psu? Its a gigabyte 500W and i got it last year october, so it cant really be the aging factor...but once again thanks for the replies, will keep you posted on any developments. I have overclocked with this setup, not the gcard, just the cpu. But its doing this when everything is at default...well not anymore:)

There is an inexpensive but very useful tool called a multimeter. I have a digital one by Craftsman that I got for $20. It will test your molex, sata, etc. connections and tell you what the power output is and whether or not your PSU is cranking out the power within acceptable boundaries.

A good PSU is the backbone of any system.

So the solution be not fixed...another bsod, minidump attached, was on startup:(..., but then restarted and all was fine, booted up and played some cod5 zombie with no problems...ran ati tool 0.27 too see if there were any artifacts and none showed up(btw how long should you run the artifact finding tool?) As for the temps i'm perdy shoore they should be fine as many interneting research has showed that the temps i have are fine...but i will try manually setting my fan speed to keep it cooler, see if that helps stability...yes a multimeter. I think my girlfriends dad should have one of those, and atleast know how to use it! Shall keep you posted...mite take some time though coz he be out of town....oh and corrections too be made: psu is a Gigabyte Superb 550W

----------------------

I got this a few times with my old gigabyte DS3 when i was overclocking it.Blank screen in games and still getting sound.Think it was the gpu in error putting out a higher res than my monitor could handle. A tad more voltage on the MCH fixed the problem for good.Also check that the ram voltage is plus .2 as these gigabyte boards undervolt the ram at stock settings.Could be a weak or failing power supply too.Power supplies are probably the most failure prone piece hardware in a pc.
Oh and those NV drivers are known to cause bsod in certain conditions.I was getting it with my gtx280 when playing arma.Something to do with an infinite loop between the cpu and gpu which eventually crashes the pc.I changed up to 182.08 whql then 182.50 whql and things have been perfect ever since.

I've tried many different driver versions and all do the same shite...from 178.13 uip to 182.08? so i know my drivers cant be the prob...and i do uninstall them in safe mode incase you was wondering:)

You have an error I have never seen before 0x18:ERROR_BAD_LENGTH
The program issued a command but the command length is incorrect. The following information is from pc-library.com

Description of Error
This code means that the device is not found like for instance, it is not working properly or is missing. The text shown for this error code varies depending on the form of device (Plug and Play or legacy). If this device is a legacy or root detected machine, the following text will be shown: "This device is either not working properly, not present, or not all the drivers are installed." If it is a Plug and Play device, this text is shown: "This device is also having the same reasons as the legacy."

THE PROBLEM
Windows is unable to detect a device. Thus, the hardware device does not work properly. It will look like a switched-off computer. The device driver software will be damaged and will not match the hardware.Errors on your system may be caused by invalid registry entries and outdated or corrupt drivers.

THE SOLUTION
If the device does not appear or is not present, the problem is a bad hardware. A new driver is needed to reinstall the data. The device can also be removed from the computer and reconnected so the system can redetect the hardware and can manually start the troubleshooting in the General Properties of the device tab.

* The thing is the minidump never stated what hardware and or driver is the cause.

Another error is 0xA and these are caused either by hardware or drivers attempting to access an IRQ Level it has no business doing so. Again, nothing was given that was specific.

The third error is 0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

As before nothing definitive was given.

Well isnt that just dandy, a nice little error that is never been seen before by you:(. Well as you say the third error is possibly a hardware error and i have already tested my ram....well i'm going to be putting my g-card in a friends pc and then see if his pc bsods, anyways, thanks for the advice. You been a great help.

It is a rare one that is for sure. The issue is what piece of hardware do you need to identify as the probable cause. I'm very interested to see what happens when you place your vid card in another system.

By the way, when you tried different device drivers did you use a utility like Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper to make sure all old drivers were removed before installing new ones for your video card?

No i didnt try that, but what i have done that is better is a full reformat and installation of windows and it still would bsod on me when just iddling on my desktop. But no, i dont have any of those utilities, but i shall procure them...lata:)

---------------------------

Hey there, so an update on recent events...somewhat crappily coincidental, my friends pc who i was going too try my gcard in(the same guy with the 8800gt alpha dog edition i mentioned earlier in the thread) has also just started having the problems i've sorta been having. Except he cant even get into windows for a possible bsod to occur. He turns on his pc and all fans spin and the gcard fan spins up at full speed and nothing is on his monitor, and it stays like this till we hard shut down the pc. Its deja vu for me as my pc been doing that for a long while now...I'm begining to think it might be my psu now, that it cant handle my g-card and, but surely a 550W can handle a single pci express card? Min specs for this card is a 440W psu......So just my luck, i'm going to take my gcard to the shop i bought the it from to test it...lata

---------------------------

soz for replying to my response:) but anyway, here it is....Hey there, so an update on recent events...somewhat crappily coincidental, my friends pc who i was going too try my gcard in(the same guy with the 8800gt alpha dog edition i mentioned earlier in the thread) has also just started having the problems i've sorta been having. Except he cant even get into windows for a possible bsod to occur. He turns on his pc and all fans spin and the gcard fan spins up at full speed and nothing is on his monitor, and it stays like this till we hard shut down the pc. Its deja vu for me as my pc been doing that for a long while now...I'm begining to think it might be my psu now, that it cant handle my g-card and, but surely a 550W can handle a single pci express card? Min specs for this card is a 440W psu......So just my luck, i'm going to take my gcard to the shop i bought the it from to test it...lata

Your saying you didn`t take my advice on checking the power supply yet?
:S
I`m not sure wether your friends pc is using your gpu when his pc goes crazy or it`s all his own hardware.This isn`t made clear and is quite important.
Also a 1200 watt power supply will not be enough if it`s faulty.The whole system would be unstable no matter how many watts are printed on the side of it.

So i think i've come to the conclusion that it is my psu somewhat...the reason being that i have not had a bsod in a while now and it has booted up without a problem in over a week. I assumed that if my gcard was busted it would not be working for this amount of time without some sort of problem. So wondering why i thinks its my psu...well all i've really done in my pc is removed my dvd drive and a stick of ram(tried both of them) and all is okay. So was thinking that my psu couldnt handle the total load of my pc...which is worrying to some degree. Its got more than enough Wattage and amperage to run my pc. While my gcard only uses 8.75 amps the rest of the amps go around. Just wondering if i put too much on a single rail that caused instability...anyone stop me if i'm babbling:)

So ya, thanks geesus for pointing out psu as possible culprit:), so far adjusting stuffs on that front has been the most stabilising solution to the dilema that is my pc...will update you's on any other developments

Hey there fellow forum folk! Been a long time since i posted here...the university has been riding my *** all week! and to my great relief my pc has been running quite flawlessly for the past 3 weeks that is it is always turning on as and no bsods, well the last bsod i had was on the 21/04/09...until yesterday morning:(...nothing has changed in my pc, still using it with out my dvd-drive and only one 2 gig stick of ram. The only thing i've actually changed in my pc since my last post is installed the 4.20 daemon tools lite program (not the same one i had before that might have caused the bsod) and have installed fallout 3...and been playing it nicely:) So i've attached the mini dump file and i've also attached a screenshot that i'm not quite sure what it means, the cdrom bad block...anyway, its good to know that when i'm in computer woes that this forum will try help me out:) lata...

Your saying you didn`t take my advice on checking the power supply yet?
:S
I`m not sure wether your friends pc is using your gpu when his pc goes crazy or it`s all his own hardware.This isn`t made clear and is quite important.
Also a 1200 watt power supply will not be enough if it`s faulty.The whole system would be unstable no matter how many watts are printed on the side of it.

My friends pc is using all of his own parts and it is having the same problem that mine is(or was:)) having. I'm doubting that my psu might be faulty, coz my pc has been running fine the past 3 weeks, no non-posting startups and no more desktop idling bsods...i;m thinking that if my psu was faulty then my system would not be running without too much problems(the recent bsod i had). So ya, i would like to try sing another persons psu to make sure, but that involves me buying one cause non of my friends will let me use their psu's...why have enemies when my friends are so nice:)

Hey there...so another bsod, was not able to get a minidump file as my windows vista has completley stuffed out, all i know is that it was an 0x000000A error again...it now says its not genuine windows and wont allow me to get into my computer...so once again another reformat....lata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back