Help with data recovery through command prompt

Hi, I dropped an external harddisc on the floor, and it doesn't work.

So, i want to retrieve all the data that isn't broken.
is it possible with the "RECOVER" command in command prompt? I cannot open window. maybe its the "pickup-thing" thats broken and i have to get it fixed, but its like 600 £ and the data is not that important...

If it's physically broken, there's no way other than a very expensive method used by data recovery companies. Does it power on and spin up? Is it recognized when you plug it in? can you remove the drive from the enclosure?

It powers up and spins okay, and i can hear the (pins?) moving. my PC recognizes that there is external storage, but when i try to open it an error message says: "you need to format drive before use" (or something like that..)

Sounds (at minimum) there's filesystem corruption and Windows no longer recognizes a valid filesystem on the drive so it thinks its unformatted.

Try TestDisk is freeware partition/data recovery software. Never used it myself but have seen many (tho not all) people using it and getting good results.

You were right, the disk won't boot because windows doesn't recognize filesystem.
I had some difficulties finding out how the program works, and since what I'm doing now is not on the walk through it took some thinking/guessing, BUT I am retrieving the data (mainly pictures and documents) that was importent. although some of it is corrupt this was a great help.

Thanks a lot!! This advise just made my day, no the rest of the mont actually, I had some pretty important stuff on there! :D :D :D

Hail to the freeware developers, to people like LookinAround for helping other people out! Hail to this forum.

and once again thank you!

Now is the time to develop a better backup program also.
All HDs fail, so optical or cloud backup back would provide more security .

I will, this gave me a scare and taught me a lesson. I don't know what cloud backup means, but my guess would be on the web? I got my own webhotel, I think I'll use that for non-personal things. but yes, optical seems to be the safer choice..

For Cloud backup I like Google's Web Gallery and Google Docs. I get 1GB free, 20 GBs for $5.00/year.
MS Sky Dive offers 25GB for free.
There are many more.

Back