Help with deciphering Minidump

Status
Not open for further replies.

danzdoom

Even since a few months back, my com freezes once in a while. I even sent my com to service center but they say there nothing wrong.

Until now, the problem seem to have gotten serious. I cant even use my com as it alway hang/freezes instantly or a while after booting. (mouse cant even move, screen hang, computer still running though)

I cant really do much diagnosis since it keeps hang. However, i do manage to get a copy of my minidump before it hang again lol..

Here the attach minidump. Please help me decipher it. Maybe it could tell me wad wrong with my com.

Two errors are 0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

It gave nothing definitive other than it is a hardware error. Have you overclocked your system?

One error is 0xD1 and though these are usuaally caused by drivers they can also be caused by faulty or mismatched RAM. However, as to the cause the analysis was inconclusive.

One error was 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware and are particularly indicative of corrupted memory. It only cited hardware as the issue.

The final error was 0x24: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software.

Again, analysis inconclusive.

One thing you can be assured of is that something is wrong with your system and it appears to be hardware related. Since we have nothing definitive to go on do the following diagnostic steps.

1. Find the make of your harddrive and go to the manufacturer's website. They will provide a free utility to diagnose your harddrive. Run the tests. If your harddrive is failing immediately back up all your important information to CD/DVD.

2. Go to your Start Menu > Run box > type in ChkDsk > Hit okay zand let it run. Under stage 2 (there are three stages) does it say retrieving lost files, etc.?

3. Run Memtest on your RAM. We are checking to see if it is corrupted.

See this link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced; it cannot be fixed.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

4. Check your airflow. In particular check your fans to see if they are working especially your video and cpu fan.

5. Scan for infections.

*** Get back to us with the results.

Thanks for your prompt reply!

However, i can't do wad u told me to as my com keeps hangs/freezes.. im on my bro laptop =/

Is there any other way to run my com and do wad u tell me?

You should be able to do these tests in Safe Mode. Can you access Safe Mode via the F8 Key at boot up?

By the way, is there another computer center that you can take it to if need be? To say there is nothing wrong with your system is just wrong. Your minidumps make this very clear. If you do take it to a PC shop you can take the information that I gave you on the minidump reads.

But before you take it to a shop see if you can access via Safe Mode. It is now past midnight here on the East Coast of the U.S. so I am going to bed, but someone else might come along and help or if not I'll check in tomorrow to see how you faired.

Alright.. i appreciate ur help...

I do try run in Safemode but it fails... my whole screen juz filled with weird digits and numbers when i try to boot in safemode..

i will try to boot up in w/e ways and do the steps u told me to..

thx

Hey.. i remove 2 1gb Kingston RAM which newly installed last year and my com seems to be working fine for hours..

So now i have 2 256MB RAM left which make up to 512MB.. Although my com goes much slower, im happy it fine now..

So can i say that the fault lies on the 2 1gb RAM? or the motherboard having faulty RAM slot?

Everything was fine until now since i added 2 1gb RAM.. i wonder why it is like that..

You could test the RAM with Memtest like Route44 said on his post .... www.memtest.org ....

If I'm not mistaken, Kingston RAM has a lifetime warranty, so you should be able to return it for a new pair at no extra cost to you. It could be your RAM slot as well - you could just put the 1GB chip into the slot that currently has the 256Mb in and test it by itself.

Spyder_1386 :)

ok Spyder.. i did wad u said by putting the 1GB chip into the slot that has the 256MB..
The result is good.. nothing wrong... everything went smoothly..
So i guess some of my RAM slots are faulty..

I dun hav any usable CD or floppy disk with me now... i will do MemTest if i gotten 1..

Thanks for all the help!

Alright... the next day i wake up and turn on my com.. it crashes again -.-.. so i change back to 2 256MB RAM chips and it working again...

gotta do Memtest fast..

Alright... the next day i wake up and turn on my com.. it crashes again -.-.. so i change back to 2 256MB RAM chips and it working again...

gotta do Memtest fast..

Yes, and make sure you allow it to run the minimum 7 Passes.

Sorry for late updates.. Because i wanna observe and confirm my situation b4 i post..

Alright... I did the Memtest for all my RAMs... All of them have no problem to pass 7 test...

i did virus/anti-spyware scan and it was all green..

i did wad spyder suggest.. but after a few days.. the problem came again and seem to be getting worst on each following days..

Yep... now i hav to keep restarting the com until it boot up smoothly without hanging... it getting irritating...

Is there any other solution to this? or any other information i need to provide to give a clearer picture?

Thx for help

Move onto harddrive scanning?

You can download seatools for free

I personally prefer the Seatools for DOS, which needs to be burnt onto a CD and booted into. There are different versions however (Seatools for Windows)

Then boot into the CD and run the scan, it will tell you whether you have bad sectors even if your drive isnt seagate.

Move onto harddrive scanning?

You can download seatools for free

I personally prefer the Seatools for DOS, which needs to be burnt onto a CD and booted into. There are different versions however (Seatools for Windows)

Then boot into the CD and run the scan, it will tell you whether you have bad sectors even if your drive isnt seagate.

yes i also use seatools to do S.M.A.R.T a lot of time before... it say that my Hardisk was good though... no bad sector...

yes i also use seatools to do S.M.A.R.T a lot of time before... it say that my Hardisk was good though... no bad sector...

I too use Seatools but I strongly suggest you also run the Short DST and especially the Long DST. I have an old Tecra S1 laptop that was given to me last August. After doing diagnostics with SeaTools on the harddrive it passed both S.M.A.R.T. and Short DST twice, but failed the Long DST twice.

Bottom line: Time for a new harddrive. Do both ands tell us what the results are.

I too use Seatools but I strongly suggest you also run the Short DST and especially the Long DST. I have an old Tecra S1 laptop that was given to me last August. After doing diagnostics with SeaTools on the harddrive it passed both S.M.A.R.T. and Short DST twice, but failed the Long DST twice.

Bottom line: Time for a new harddrive. Do both ands tell us what the results are.

ok

Did you try what route44 suggested here?

yes.. i got 2 fan.. 1 cpu fan and 1 fan for overalll... working good with average of 2.5k rpm.. tested with Speedfan.

I got an error when booting up sometimes only... The error is "Unimplemented Firmware sector (number number)".. then suddenly the whole screen is filled with "0"'s ...
Also, sometimes when i power on my com.. there is no light on and the fan spin so fast that the sound can be heard meter away..
Sometimes, when i on the com.. the com is running but nothing is projected on the monitor..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back