Help with my graphics card (I don't have any ideas on hardware)

I checked my computer specs these are the things that I saw

ASUS P5VD2-VM SE (mobo)
400W 26A (PSU) <- I think

Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory : 448MB RAM <-- I only have 512mb of ddr2 ram atm

I dont have any gfx card I use the built-in one..

Im thinking of upgrading my pc by buying a 2gb ram and a gfx card to let me play my games.. The game I want to play is "Heroes of Newerth" , "SkyRim" , Call Of Duty games.. I dont care if i could only play in medium resolution as long as is smooth and nver gets lag..

I would like to know what video cards are compatible with my mobo please explain it to me thoroughly so I could understand I dont have that much money so a average card will do..

Another thing :

If I were to change my mobo and processor can I also use the RAM and gfx card that I bought? How is that possible? Are motherboards have similar sizes because I think my casing will be a problem.. HELP pls

I think you're going to be bottlenecked by your CPU, RAM and PSU. If you bought 4GB of RAM (which is very cheap nowadays), a decent 500W PSU and a Radeon 6770 I think you can game on medium settings for those games.

Your mobo has a PCI-E x16 slot so all modern graphics cards will be compatible. However check to see how much space is in your case because some graphics cards are very long.

If you decide to upgrade your CPU, you will need to change the motherboard and RAM unless you get a Core 2 Duo/Quad processor, in which case you can use your existing mobo and RAM. Graphics cards are compatible either way.

Ninja'd ^

Just to start, memory on this system will not be usable in the future because its DDR2, current hardware is all DDR3 based. For compatibility purpose the main requirement is a PCI-E x16, after that power requirements from the power supply, that 400 watt will probably have to be upgraded to accommodate the video card you'd be installing. The next limitation is from CPU itself, the older gen Pentium D processors are rather slow in comparison to even a core 2 duo. That being said, nothing more than a HD6770 video card, even that might be bottle-necked by your CPU.

Well guys thank you for replying.

I think I have analyzed all you have said and I just want to tell you that I dont really have much budget to begin with thats why I'm trying to upgrade this computer part by part.

Actually I'm just thinking of Core 2 Duo processors or Core 2 Quads. The i processors are expensive here in my country.

I have more questions to ask. My old pc (p4) has a nvidia tnt riva I dont know its just about it much but its just 64mb though and I wanted to use it temporarily but I doesnt fit the slot thats why I'm asking people here about video cards because I don't want to buy something that doesnt even fit in.

About my DDR2 RAM I think its alright. I dont even plan on replacing my mobo atm because its way more expensive than you think. If I were to replace my mobo then I couldn't buy RAM and a gfx card. My friend's PC can run those games with just using 1gb of ddr2 ram but with a nvidia GeFore 9400 GT I think and his processors are Core2Duo (2.8GHz) and I think his brother's PC is the same but only has 512 ram to begin with thats why I'm thinking I could also run those games just by adding more memory and improving my video card.

Another thing. Is it safe for me if I were to buy used computer parts like for my ddr2 ram and video card? Just asking. Thank you again for the reply

Back