Help with PC hardware

hello, I am looking for some help with a few questions.

my first question is: my mother board is a IPIBL-LB (Benicia), I am using a geforce 8400gts, and I have a 300 watt psu. does anyone see a problem with this? I am not meaning to joke or anything, I recently took a look at the power requirements of the graphics card and saw that I come 50 watts short. any help would be great.

the second question I have is: with the aforementioned motherboard I am looking to run a geforce gtx 285. are these compatible??? if so could anyone recommend an adequate psu that would give enough juice

any help would be great, please forgiveme as I am not tech savvy.

thanks, fghrt

It might be okay, but it depends on the amperage available on the 12v rails more than the wattage really. If it runs okay, then you could continue to use it, but I would personally recommend you consider an upgrade.

Power requirements provided by Nvidia/AMD are always overly conservative, if your system is running fine then you don't really need to upgrade the PSU.

If you want to get something like a GTX 285 then a PSU upgrade is definitely needed. However I would suggest you get a newer generation card (e.g. GTX 560, Radeon 7770) rather than an older and more power hungry card.

Back