Help with upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi im upgrading my machine and would like some advice i got a case and pci-express graphics card. I want to spend £500 max on the 6 items, i play games and surf

I need
1. Processor:
this is the Processor im thinking of getting : AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 545 3.00GHz (Socket AM3)

2. mobo:
3. Ram :
4. HDD:
5. DVD R/W:
6. Monitor:
I’m thinking of this monitor i like the idea of a hdmi input : Viewsonic VX2260wm 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor
thank's ;)

hi i only got a nvidia 9400gt i don't mind using that for now and upgrading later i really just want the best mobo chip and memory i can get for my money cos it'll be a few years till i get the money to do it again im not dead set on that monitor it just looks good and a quite high spec for the money i was going to use the case i have now but it's not really up to the job so i will need a case psu i got a samsung dvd r/w and 2 250 gig ide hard drives that i could use just for now to get the best mobo chip and memory

some better info

i am going to use the PC for games mainly call of duty :0) some film changing and general stuff

my budget is £500

i am willing to buy online, been looking on overclockers web site. but my local shop will price match if they have the same gear

i will use parts from an earlier build to save money. 2 + 250gig ide hdd and a nvidia 9400 graphics card and a samsung DvD R/W. but would i be much better replacing them and going for a lesser board and chip ??

i need a monitor i want a 22" but i have a keyboard and g5 mouse

i have an Operating System

i will have the money in 4 weeks I'm just a bit stuck so much choice out there thanks for your help ;)

Ritwik7 gave some good choices there. Many people run that cpu he listed for gaming etc., and it makes for a good budget build without sacrificing quality. Just make sure that whatever motherboard you choose that it has an IDE controller for your harddrives. The parts you list that you can carry over should be fine.

I would say that eventually you do want a better video card.

@ Route44 - This is what the Gigabyte website says about the mobo I listed above: 1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices.

Will this work for the OP?

@ thejarrasparra - Since you're gonna be reusing the HDD and optical drive of the older machine you can get yourself this graphics card now. Or else get this processor.

@ Ritwik7 -- I looked that board up and it certainly has a lot to offer. I was really suprised it had 3 firewire ports (prefer firewire for video download over USB any day).

It will certainly run the X3 but I also agree with the second suggestion that you gave for cpu would offer considerably more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back