Help with Windows XP BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there
I recently experienced a blue screen problem on my PC (windows XP) where I cannot log in to windows even on safe mode, hence not being able to access the data from my hard drive.
Can anyone help in recovering the data from my hard drive before re-formating it ?
The hard drive is 320 GB but has a partition between C (250 GB) and D drive (70 GB) which I believe may have cause the problem as the C drive may be running out of space.
The idea is to recover the data from the corrupted hard drive before reformating it and re-install the programs. I have an external/portable hard drive (seagate free agent) which I use for back up to transfer the existing data across.
Is there a way to run a CHKDSK /F on the current hard drive as advised on the blue screen ?
The technical info is *** STOP : 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x86A1BE0, 0xC0000102, 0x0000000) from the blue screen advising to disable/uninstall any anti-virus, disk defrag or backup utilities, check hard drive config and updated drivers, run CHKDSK /F o check for hard drive corruption, and then restart computer.
Also tried the F2, F8 and F12 functions with no joy.
If there's a way to run the CHKDSK function without having to reformat the drive, it will be great, otherwise as a last resort, the hard drive will have to be reformated and reinstall all the programs from scratch.
I also cannot locate the Windows XP installation disc - is there a copy I can download from another PC / laptop which Im currently using ?
Any advise/tips much appreciated.
Cheers

thanks for your reply Kimsland.

Will try to get a copy of a XP CD soon to try the above and hopefully the chkdsk will solve the problem. will post back soon and thanks again for your prompt respone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back