Hideo Kojima says relationship with Sony still strong despite Xbox partnership, fans launch...

midian182

Staff member
In context: Hideo Kojima made a surprise appearance during the Xbox Bethesda showcase yesterday to announce a partnership between Kojima Productions and Microsoft that will utilize the latter company's cloud technology. The Metal Gear Solid creator has a 24-year-long close relationship with Sony, and while he insists that hasn't changed, fans still launched a petition hoping to cancel this Xbox-exclusive game.

Kojima was his usual elusive self during the Xbox Game Studios partnership announcement. He said Kojima Productions would create a game he has always wanted to make, "a completely new game that no one has ever experienced or seen before." The company will use Microsoft's Azure cloud platform to make the "never-seen-before concept."

The reveal brought concerns among PlayStation fans over whether Kojima would be ending or scaling back his work on the platform. "After the announcement of our partnership with Microsoft using the cloud technology, many people have asked us about our collaboration with [Sony Interactive Entertainment]," Kojima Productions tweeted. "Please be assured that we continue to have a very good partnership with PlayStation as well."

Despite reports that the studio is working on both the cloud-powered game and another big game for PlayStation, possibly Death Stranding 2, a few people were so unhappy with Kojima's branching out that they started a Change.org petition called "cancel Kojima Xbox exclusive game."

The petition says Kojima has "been blinded by greed," adding that not everyone has access to an internet connection fast enough to stream games, or the money to buy a new console/build a new PC. The petition ends with "Please Kojima, dont [sic] leave us," so you can imagine where the allegiance of the creator lies. Unless the whole thing is a troll, which is always a possibility.

Death Stranding was a PlayStation exclusive until it came to PC—something else that brought a barrage of outrage from PlayStation fans. A cloud-powered Xbox/PC game from Kojima certainly sounds like an interesting prospect that could perform well, much to the disappointment of the 1,500 people who signed the petition.

h/t: Jon Cartwright

Permalink to story.

This is such a Non-story everywhere is picking up - TLDR he is working with Xbox and PlayStation - which is exactly what has been said up until this point. Fans are just stupid

Just as is tradition. Isn't it kind of ironic how always Sony fans are the ones who are always the most offended? Sure Xbox definitely has a few too but to be fair it's very rare to find these type of people in Xbox community. I guess it's because they are not too emotionally attached to their plastic box

Kojima trash anyways. MG was all he had and he let it go for mailman game. Geoff Keighley will give infinite praise to whatever he cooks up and serve it to everyone like Kojima farted gold dust on it.

I think the beef is going to go beyond just regular fans as there's something obvious not being spoken out loud here: One of the most prominent Japanese game devs and definitively a household name for decades is willing to work with a western company in addition or even instead of a Japanese one. That's going to be criticized not just by rabid western Sony fans but by the xenophobic sector of Japanese folk too.

One sec, has anyone said this new game is an xbox exclusive? wth...
Kojima will release it on Steam at least, and very possibly on PlayStation. Sure, he will get MS help same, as he got Sony's Guerilla help and will do what he wants.

I think the beef is going to go beyond just regular fans as there's something obvious not being spoken out loud here: One of the most prominent Japanese game devs and definitively a household name for decades is willing to work with a western company in addition or even instead of a Japanese one. That's going to be criticized not just by rabid western Sony fans but by the xenophobic sector of Japanese folk too.

Yeah, I think its probably more about this. Anyone with a brain would oppose the very idea of console exclusives. There's a very good chance this new game will not be Xbox-exclusive and almost every PSX owner also has a PC, though its not always a gaming rig. If anything I'd think these people would welcome having multiple platforms for their favorite studio's games. Crossplay also provides tremendous advantages to virtually any online experience. Personally I see little difference between consoles other than Xbox-style controllers being far superior.

Xbox-style controllers being far superior.
Funny way of spelling Steam Controller ;D
but seriously, xbox controller is the main reason I don't own xbox (ok, maybe main reason is me having gaming PC...). I was getting sore fingers with x360 controller due to battery compartment and not looking in that direction since ;)

Kojima trash anyways. MG was all he had and he let it go for mailman game. Geoff Keighley will give infinite praise to whatever he cooks up and serve it to everyone like Kojima farted gold dust on it.
What are you talking about? He didn't let anything go. He was fired from Konami. Yes MGS are amazing thanks to him, but he didn't want to stop making them.

What? Really?? They started a "petition"?!?

WTF is the world coming to? So the guy is working with someone else. He has every right to. He has a free agency doesn't he? Have they signed an exclusivity contract with Sony? In the end if you don't like it guess what you can do... don't buy the product. Simple as that. In a world that currently stands on the brink of all out nuclear war this is what people are all upset about?? Douglas Adams was right...

Stupidest thing. You cant tell a person who he works with, he is a developer/creator, he goes and does what he wants. He has earned that privilege. 

Back