High clock speed worries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alster37

hi, im looking to upgrade my graphics card. at the moment i have a 8600gt 512mb and am thinking about upgrading to 9800gtx+ but i was suprised by the high clock speed which the card runs at and a fear if i buy it i will not get the same performance i would with a faster mobo. my mobo is a foxconn A6VMX.

HOW CAN I SPEED UP MY MOBO?
am i exagerating the loss of peformance i would experience?
is there a better card for me at no more than 140 pounds?

thx if you can help me with this.:wave:

The graphics card does not affect the mobo in any way, and vice-versa. You can put a GTX 280 in that motherboard without problems.

As for being better, that would depend on what kind of card your current PSU can handle, as well as what resolution you game at. So give us the native resolution of your monitor, and give us the PSU specs by doing the following:
Open up your case, look for the PSU sticker, and post all the specs from it. Here is what a typical PSU sticker looks like:
sn41g2v2_psu_sticker.jpg

hey all i've narrowed it down to a choice of graphics cards mostly nvidia.
i need to know which is best based on performance, value and how long it will last before it needs to be replaced. oh and i know i will need to get a bigger power supply (400w at the moment) so could you give me advice on the power needed for the chosen card. i currently have 512mb 8600gt.

9600gt
9800gt
9800gtx
hd 4850

oh and are the overclocked versions worth the money?
thanks ;)

I recommend the HD 4850. Go with the HIS ICEQ4 version if you can afford it.

As for a new PSU, the Corsair 450VX will be more than sufficient. You can also go with the Antec EA500, if you can find it cheaper than the 450VX.

thx Rage for your advice i thought the radeon was better i have seen the version you recommend but i have also seen the gainward 512mb version with 700mhz clock and at 123 pounds where as the his version is 150. am i paying for better cooling?

would a ThermalTake TR2 Value 470W be good enough for my pc?

You can go with a cheaper reference card too, you will just need to use a small software tweak (available via Google) to turn up the fan speed, since the default speed is very low and causes the card to get quite hot. Something like this will do the job very nicely.

As for the PSU, no, the Thermaltake does not deliver enough power for your needs. This would be a better pick.

hi guys i'm back!
and now its 9800gtx+ or 4850.the 9800gtx+ is £125 to £165 the radeon being slightly cheaper but apparently the 9800gtx+ is slightly more powerful despite the huge lack in cores compared to the radeon. if you dont believe me check this out.

http://www.overclock.net/hardware-news/346999-legitreviews-hd4850-vs-9800gtx.html

but the nvidia uses a wopping 225watts! and the radeon im guessing less.
i think il go for the 9800gtx+ because i already have a nvidia card with nvidia drivers etc.
so i just need advice on where to get the best version of the 9800gtx+ for price and model and maybe some on the psu.

my current psu is 400watts which powers my 8600gt. if it helps i play gears of war flatout uc gta4, fallout3.

hope you can help! :grinthumb

and i dont really have a budget for my psu just not to much really!
i'd like a 550 or even 600watt would thatbe possible? just so i wont have to change psu in a while.

The Corsair 550VX will be great for the 9800GTX+, and will be able to handle any card upto a GTX 285 without problems.

As for a card vendor, I recommend XFX for their excellent support and Double Lifetime warranty coverage.

the 9800gtx+ is now my definite and the corsair i also think would be great for the card.
and the xfx is the one for me because it has the highest clocks and is still quite cheap compared to the other models.
thanks for all your help guys and this brings the thread to a close. :grinthumb

happy gaming!

because of the credit crunch i have lowered my budget to £100!!!!
so ive got lined up...
HIS 4670 1gb
9600gso fatal1ty 768mb
9800gt asus 512mb

which ones best and have i missed one?

For 10 quid more, you can get the ASUS HD 4850 I recommended by me in post #8. However, if you cannot go over £100, I recommend this card as the best choice. Faster than a 9800GT and can be had for much lesser than £100, with free delivery to boot.

hi guys i'm back!
and now its 9800gtx+ or 4850.the 9800gtx+ is £125 to £165 the radeon being slightly cheaper but apparently the 9800gtx+ is slightly more powerful despite the huge lack in cores compared to the radeon. if you dont believe me check this out.

http://www.overclock.net/hardware-news/346999-legitreviews-hd4850-vs-9800gtx.html

but the nvidia uses a wopping 225watts! and the radeon im guessing less.
i think il go for the 9800gtx+ because i already have a nvidia card with nvidia drivers etc.
so i just need advice on where to get the best version of the 9800gtx+ for price and model and maybe some on the psu.

my current psu is 400watts which powers my 8600gt. if it helps i play gears of war flatout uc gta4, fallout3.

hope you can help! :grinthumb

and i dont really have a budget for my psu just not to much really!
i'd like a 550 or even 600watt would thatbe possible? just so i wont have to change psu in a while.

If by cores you meant SPU's, Nvidia and ATI SPU's are not the same thing and cannot be used in comparison. ati and nvidia GPU architectures are completely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back