High Frequency Sound sound coming from PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBN

Whenever I'm watching a vid or playing a game from time to time I hear this high frequency sound coming from my PC and the vid or game starts to move like in slow motion for a while then it's back to normal again until it happens another time.

I'd probably be looking at an RMA for the graphics card if the noise is coming from there. A lot of nVidia cards produce coil whine as what amounts to a standard feature, but in this case it's more likely that voltage regulation circuitry producing audible vibrations during routine operation is indicative of an impending capacitance fail state due to microscopic shorts and/or trace breaks.
If the noise is emanating from the PSU then replace it ASAP- no good can come of keeping a faulty power supply hooked up to the system.

I know it's not the graphics card because I've recently changed the graphics card and I'm having the same issue.

Could be the same issue on the MOBO. There are several switching regulators that use the same type of coil, which might cause the whine.
I had this on a Dell mobo a long time ago, and Dell eventually sent me a new mobo.

FW

It definitely isn't my graphics card because I've changed my graphics card and I'm still having this issue.

It seems to happen more often when the computer gets heated up i.e. when the computer has been on for a few hours.

I think DBZ's analysis is accurate and with reasons; + fw's comments. Also if you have some hardware monitoring software running on your computer it will give you a definitive idea with regard to motherbaord's temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back