Home network issue, three XP machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photo601

Greetings.

I have a minor dilemma with my home network. I have three boxes networked together via a modem/switch through SBC/ATT&T.

I'll call the systems Gaming, Family and General. From the Family and General machines I am able to share files at will through the shared file in properties. From the Gaming syatem I can access files on the other two boxes at will. I cannot access files on the gaming system no matter what I do.
My steps so far:
I have rebooted the router/switch. Both by unplugg it it and using the reboot button located behind the switch. I have switched NIC's on the system.
I am able to ping the IP and the name of the computer from the other two machines. I have checked to ensure the file sharing box is checked in the properties tab for both NIC's on the gaming system.
I have made sure Windows Firewall is off. I have even uninstalled Zone alarm and made sure Windows Firewall is off.
The system worked up until a couple weeks ago, then suddenly stopped. I don't know exactly when, but I do know I had not changed ANY settings prior to it stopping the file sharing.
I have also checked to see if the IP address in Zone Alarm is correct.
I feel like this is a Firewall issue, but I am past anything that I know of to test or check/uncheck.
Some have suggested going to a True Home Network using the newer home server software from Microsoft, but I am not ready for that just yet.

Please state the version of the OS on all systems
  1. Gaming,
  2. Family
  3. General

Resolved

I am happy to say the issue is solved. The problem was not firewall related as I had originally thought. I had downloaded Acronis True Image for backup. I had not uninstalled it nor had I purcahsed it after the trial period expired. Somehow that program prevented me from networking my systems. Looking back, about the time the program expired, my system quit networking. I can honestly say, Acronis was not a program I would have ever looked at as the source of the problem. If anyone is able to explain why an imaging program prevents networking, I would appreciate it. (Once the program was uninstalled and the system rebooted, everything worked normally....)

Photo601

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back