Honda's first electric SUV, the Prologue, launches in early 2024

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Honda’s vision for a fully electric future is now a bit sharper with the recent announcement of its first new volume battery-electric vehicle slated to arrive in early 2024. It'll be powered by GM's Ultium battery tech, but Honda is working on its own platform set to debut in the second half of the decade.

The Honda Prologue is an all-new electric SUV slated to hit the market in early 2024. Details are scant at this hour, but Honda said it’ll be highly competitive with the sort of features and functionality that customers have come to expect from the company.

The Prologue will be followed by an all-electric Acura SUV later in 2024. Both platforms will utilize General Motors’ Ultium battery technology, per a partnership first announced in mid-2018.

More information on the Honda Prologue will be shared over the coming months, we’re told.

Back in April, Honda said it was aiming to have battery-electric and fuel cell electric vehicles make up 40 percent of sales in North America by 2030. By 2035, that figure is expected to climb to 80 percent before reaching 100 percent in 2040.

The automaker at the time further revealed that it is planning to launch a series of EV models in the second half of the decade. They’ll be based on a completely new EV platform led by Honda called e:Architecture and will be introduced first in North America before finding their way to other markets.

Image credit: Smile Fight, Art Konovalov

Permalink to story.

Look, I love honda, I've been working on them on my spare time for the last 20 years. That honda SUV is a hatch back, not an SUV....

But as long as they remain cheap, reliable transportation I don't really care what they do.

Oh, also let we do my own work, there is no need to have everything with a chip in it linked to a central computer to authorize it to work with the rest of the system. If that's what you want, buy an apple car

Why SUVs they are stupid vehicles with no use. Worse still they defeat the purpose of being ecological, cars should be more compact and nimble with focus on lightness. Electric cars and cars in general should follow the philosophy of Colin Chapman

Look, I love honda, I've been working on them on my spare time for the last 20 years. That honda SUV is a hatch back, not an SUV....

But as long as they remain cheap, reliable transportation I don't really care what they do.

Oh, also let we do my own work, there is no need to have everything with a chip in it linked to a central computer to authorize it to work with the rest of the system. If that's what you want, buy an apple car
Are you referring to the car pictured in the article or the prototype of the Prologue:

d49af1e0-d811-11eb-b7df-ed099c097696.cf.webp

This looks far more SUV'ish than a lot of the modern day "SUV"s that are being branded as such but have no business calling themselves anything more than a part time AWD hatchback, or crossover at best.

Edit, found another picture probably more in line with what it will actually look like, shame as the prototype was pretty nice.

2020-honda-cr-v_100748879_h.jpg

This looks more like the CRV or Passport depending on how big it is.

2nd edit, I think that 2nd picture is just a CRV, so nvm.

Last edited:
Are you referring to the car pictured in the article or the prototype of the Prologue:

d49af1e0-d811-11eb-b7df-ed099c097696.cf.webp

This looks far more SUV'ish than a lot of the modern day "SUV"s that are being branded as such but have no business calling themselves anything more than a part time AWD hatchback, or crossover at best.

Edit, found another picture probably more in line with what it will actually look like, shame as the prototype was pretty nice.

2020-honda-cr-v_100748879_h.jpg

This looks more like the CRV or Passport depending on how big it is.

2nd edit, I think that 2nd picture is just a CRV, so nvm.
There is only one picture of a car in the article and that's the one I'm talking about

Why SUVs they are stupid vehicles with no use. Worse still they defeat the purpose of being ecological, cars should be more compact and nimble with focus on lightness. Electric cars and cars in general should follow the philosophy of Colin Chapman

WOW! You are ignorant, please educate yourself. SUV's are excellent for moving people and stuff! In the past there have been times where I had 8 people, a dog and hiking equipment crammed into my SUV. I've also loaded washers/driers, 30 mulch bags and other large items into my SUVs with ease. Let's see you pull that off in your compact POS car.

WOW! You are ignorant, please educate yourself. SUV's are excellent for moving people and stuff! In the past there have been times where I had 8 people, a dog and hiking equipment crammed into my SUV. I've also loaded washers/driers, 30 mulch bags and other large items into my SUVs with ease. Let's see you pull that off in your compact POS car.

We looked closely at SUVs and decided they are essentially worthless for our family's use case. We opted for a Subaru sedan and a small utility trailer. I seriously doubt you can move refrigerators, pianos, table saw, 4x8 sheets of plywood, 1/2 cubic yard of soil, a gas generator, 1500lb of bricks, several dollys, lawnmowers, or many other things in your essentially microscopic SUV. Trucks are not much better, because you have to lift everything to the bed, whereas in a small trailer you can drop the gate to the pavement and roll the stuff in. Also trucks have very small bed. Our light trailer is 5x10 feet. Once done, you unhook the trailer. You don't have to haul around the SUV's extra 1000 lbs of body work. The only thing that would necessitate an SUV is if you have big dogs. But dogs are important for some people and they're willing to pay an extra $10k for the SUV.

We looked closely at SUVs and decided they are essentially worthless for our family's use case. We opted for a Subaru sedan and a small utility trailer. I seriously doubt you can move refrigerators, pianos, table saw, 4x8 sheets of plywood, 1/2 cubic yard of soil, a gas generator, 1500lb of bricks, several dollys, lawnmowers, or many other things in your essentially microscopic SUV. Trucks are not much better, because you have to lift everything to the bed, whereas in a small trailer you can drop the gate to the pavement and roll the stuff in. Also trucks have very small bed. Our light trailer is 5x10 feet. Once done, you unhook the trailer. You don't have to haul around the SUV's extra 1000 lbs of body work. The only thing that would necessitate an SUV is if you have big dogs. But dogs are important for some people and they're willing to pay an extra $10k for the SUV.

Can you haul 6-8 people and two dogs for 12 hours on a road trip with that trailer? Also, I suspect you have an empty trailer taking up space on your property for months at time between uses. Not to mention you have to deal with connections, lights, tires and plating the trailer. I have no place to store an empty trailer and don't want to deal with hassle and expense. When the time comes where I need a trailer, I simply rent one and attach it to my SUV.

Sounds like you've never owned a truck because you fail on multiple levels at understanding just how convenient a pickup is in life.

Can you haul 6-8 people and two dogs for 12 hours on a road trip with that trailer? Also, I suspect you have an empty trailer taking up space on your property for months at time between uses. Not to mention you have to deal with connections, lights, tires and plating the trailer. I have no place to store an empty trailer and don't want to deal with hassle and expense. When the time comes where I need a trailer, I simply rent one and attach it to my SUV.

Sounds like you've never owned a truck because you fail on multiple levels at understanding just how convenient a pickup is in life.

So... did you ever resolve your trailer towing phobia? Backing them up can be terrifying for the uninitiated, especially up a slope. LOL.

Yes, I have owned trucks. Don't like them. Gas hogs. Same goes for SUVs. I'd much rather have a small, high performance sedan (WRX) for daily driving. Then hook up to my trailer occasionally. Why compromise my enjoyable driving with an additional 1000 lbs of SUV or truck bloat?

If I need to haul 8 people and two dogs, I'll just rent a large minivan.

Here are the key benefits of a car and light trailer:

- hauling capabilities that are literally impossible with an SUV or a truck. Piano, 1500 lbs topsoil, small trees, etc.
- low cost (I bought my trailer in 2001 for $750 and keep it covered and well maintained). Tabs are $20/yr.
- freedom from the load when you want (just unhook the trailer and leave in the driveway).

However, I would agree with you that for most people managing a trailer is an overwhelming psychological hurdle. That's why they don't even consider it.

Don't feed the animals..

It is true until you need to move something that wont fit in a compact car. That what suv is, a freedom of movement not only for yourself but a range of items.
I only dream that one day we can make hydrogen cars work, hydrogen cars running on clean hydrogen. After all, batteries suck a range of metals needed to make them.

Back