Horizontal Tearing in Video Players?

BlackScarlet

I'm getting a consistent amount of horizontal tearing about 2/3 of the way up the screen in a single line during movement sequences while watching videos in Media Player Classic, VLC and WMP. It doesn't seem to go away unless I turn on D3D Fullscreen which creates a fullscreen playback that can't be minimized, with no context menu or on screen dialog and must be completely exited to get out of full screen. which is awful. It also occurs in the embedded firefox flash plugin.

I've updated my dX and video drivers but nothing helps. Is it a codec issue? This doesn't happen in games.
how do I stop all this tearing?

[FONT=Times New Roman]
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

Processor
3.20 gigahertz Intel Core i5-3470
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Board:
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H77M-D3H
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. F5 03/29/2012

RAM:
Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM0' has 8192 MB

Display:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 [Display adapter]
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (24.0"vis, s/n YCUYHVDZ702086, July 2010)

Audio:
NVIDIA High Definition Audio
VIA High Definition Audio
[/FONT]

1) Try clean installing the driver. Download it from here: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/59641. Download it and run it. Select custom install and check the option to "Clean Install". Reboot your machine. This will eliminate any driver issues.

2) If the issue is still ongoing, download one video player again (use VLC since it is the best for diagnostic purposes) from here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/. Go to "Add or Remove Programs" thru either the control panel or thru Windows search. Find VLC (or search for it in Add or Remove Programs) and click uninstall. When the uninstaller pops up, click next until it asks you what you want to uninstall. Make sure everything is checked, especially the "Clear preferences and cache" option (which is usually unchecked). After it uninstalls, reboot your machine and reinstall the newest version. Once again, click the "Clear preferences and Cache" during the new installation. You should then be good to go. At least for VLC :eek:. The clearing of the cache and uninstalling (clean installing) of VLC will remove and issues with codecs, corrupt files, and/or bad settings. VLC 2.0.6 had a lot of bug fixes, so that could be one of them.

Back