How can I change NIC speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manikle

Tipster advised me to,"Just make sure you set the Network cards to 1000mbps instead of Auto."
I recently bought a new router--Netgear WNDR3700.
I'm running Vista Home 64 bit on a Gateway FX6800-01e and thought that I could change the setting by going to Control Panel, then Device Manager---but there seems to be no way to change the NIC speed there.
Am I on the wrong track?
I'm curious to know why it's better to change the NIC speed to 1000Mbps, rather than letting Windows choose?
Looking to learn--not doubting the advice.

Tipster advised me to,"Just make sure you set the Network cards to 1000mbps instead of Auto."
I recently bought a new router--Netgear WNDR3700.
I'm running Vista Home 64 bit on a Gateway FX6800-01e and thought that I could change the setting by going to Control Panel, then Device Manager---but there seems to be no way to change the NIC speed there.
Am I on the wrong track?
I'm curious to know why it's better to change the NIC speed to 1000Mbps, rather than letting Windows choose?
Looking to learn--not doubting the advice.

Vista like 7 you should see icon for network near the clock in the system tray? Do you see such an icon. If yes!

Then right click then open network and sharing center
Once you do that you should see to your right Change Adapter Settings. Do you see this link? If you do click on it and then right click on your network adapter. Click on properties Click on Configure, click on Advance, scroll down to Speed & Duplex this name may vary with different nics. Now change the speed from Auto to 1000 it might be 1.0GBps same. Also if you see TCP Offload make sure those are set to Enable.

How are we doing so far? Okay or not?

If you get lost along the way all the settings are in the Device Manager. To get to this in Vista or 7 you just need to right click on the Computer icon on the desktop or in the flag orb menu then click properties and select Device Manager. Scroll down for Network Adapter, click on [+] to expand then right click on properties then on Advanced, then speed & duplex.

You should be all set?

Tipster, I was a little bit panicked initially, when the second step looked like a dead-end.
Your walk-through lists Change Adapter Settings on the right side , whereas my computer instead shows Manage Network Connections on the left.
Maybe Vista 64 has different options than the 32 bit version.
Admittedly, I don't know why it is beneficial to set the speed manually.
I would be grateful if you'd explain the benefit(s) to me.
Thanks again for helping me out!

Tipster, I was a little bit panicked initially, when the second step looked like a dead-end.
Your walk-through lists Change Adapter Settings on the right side , whereas my computer instead shows Manage Network Connections on the left.
Maybe Vista 64 has different options than the 32 bit version.
Admittedly, I don't know why it is beneficial to set the speed manually.
I would be grateful if you'd explain the benefit(s) to me.
Thanks again for helping me out!

You're right Vista and 7 menus are slightly different. Your best bet is to open the control panel and type in the search bar: device manager then search out Network Adapter.

Network Engineers will tell you to leave it at Auto, since Routers are set to Auto and external un-manged switches are set to Auto. Setting the Nic to Enabled (1000mbs or 1.0GBps) just forcing it to stay at that speed. Otherwise if the Router or external switches ever drop down to 10 or 100 and not run at 1000 then the system will follow also in reduce speed.

I've moved alway from XP and Vista and everything here is 100% (7) either 32-bit 802.11(g/n) /64-bit (802.11n & PCI-E dual direction Gig access)

I don't know if I had made it clear in the previous post, but I had succeeded in changing the speed--thanks to you.
If a Network Engineer told me that I should leave the setting at Auto, then I would ask him/her the same question--Why?
I like to understand the reasons for doing things.
The more I learn, the better.
Even at a setting of 1GBps, wouldn't the NIC still be capable of passing data into the computer, if the router or modem slowed to 10Mbps ?

Again, thanks for taking the time to educate me a bit.

Okay you have it set! Great!

Logic behind how the WAN and LAN works with the NIC speed is this way.
Well the way this works is this way:

WAN (internet) Download and Upload Speed from your ISP

If you Internet Speed is 1.5-6mbps would only need 10mbps
As 10mbps is measured by 6mbps.

If your internet speed is 7-60mbps or higher would only need 100mbps.
As 100mbps is measured by 60mbps.

If your internet speed is 70mbps or higher.
As 1000mbps is measured by 600mbps.

The Gig will only be best served via your LAN (local area network) PC to PC. You Router and external switching will make the final port adjustment. You don't have have to do anything there. If you leave the PC to PC set to Auto it will work but if the something goes to a duff mode where 10/100/1000 connection downgrades to 100 or 10 and you have your NIC set to Auto then you won't get Gig connection it will also downgrade to 100 or 10.

Anway like I had said, you have Managed Routers where you can set the port from 10/100/1000mbps and you also have Managed External Switches were you can set the port from 10/100/1000mbps. This is better but most home LAN users can get alway using the Semi-Managed Router where you can change the WAN port speed from 10, 100, 1000mbps. You can't change the LAN ports on router that doesn't offer that feature. Same with external switches that don't have Web or telnet session they run at auto speeds that can detect nodes (network devices that are running at 10, 100, 1000mbps and set the port automatically to handle those connections.

Another area that's starting up again is PAN (personal area networks) you use this for Bluetooth Wireless. Like your Cell to PC. Even the Wii using PAN too. Still a bit slower but effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back