How Can I Get Windows 10 Active Again After Replacing Bad Motherboard

I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows 10 which is down with a hardware problem. I have a well maintained Windows 10 system with lots of Apps on it. My fear is that if my problem is indeed a bad motherboard (which I am almost certain it is going to be at this point), once I put the new MB in, Windows will no longer activate. My Win 10 was the MS free upgrade from Win 7 so it's looking to me as if I will not be able to activate Win 10 without starting with the old Win 7 which I no longer have the license codes for (it came pre-installed on my computer).

If that's the case, it looks as if I will have to purchase a new Windows license and try to install it over my existing Windows system while keeping my user files intact. That is certainly not a fun prospect and I certainly don't like the idea of paying for a new Windows license. I do have my system backed up but that won't do me any good because it's the same system that's already loaded and won't activate either.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this activation problem that I'm almost certainly going to have once I replace the MB? Thanks.

HP has a Windows license as a part of BIOS. Microsoft Windows tells us to buy a new computer and it would be cheaper if it is HP with the license included. Just install a new Windows 10 or 11.
How about Dell? Are they also with this deal with Microsoft?
H.P. computers today have 10th Generation Intel processors & that deal
with the Windows being in the bios that activates itself. A few hundred dollars worth of processor and then $139.00 for Windows, and how can anyone compete with that deal?

It's possible to talk on the phone with Microsoft who will then activate your Windows 10 in the event of problems. Yours is a genuine situation so you are entitled to support. There are also other sellers of genuine Windows activation keys which come in at a fraction of the cost of buying direct from Microsoft. You might as well do a fresh install.

If you have the product key in bios, then this program will show it to you.
C.O.A. or Certificate of Authority, used to be a decal placed on a PC with
that number on your computer.
Of course, the Windows product key is attached to the motherboard and you are out of luck when replacing a motherboard.

I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows 10 which is down with a hardware problem. I have a well maintained Windows 10 system with lots of Apps on it. My fear is that if my problem is indeed a bad motherboard (which I am almost certain it is going to be at this point), once I put the new MB in, Windows will no longer activate. My Win 10 was the MS free upgrade from Win 7 so it's looking to me as if I will not be able to activate Win 10 without starting with the old Win 7 which I no longer have the license codes for (it came pre-installed on my computer).

If that's the case, it looks as if I will have to purchase a new Windows license and try to install it over my existing Windows system while keeping my user files intact. That is certainly not a fun prospect and I certainly don't like the idea of paying for a new Windows license. I do have my system backed up but that won't do me any good because it's the same system that's already loaded and won't activate either.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this activation problem that I'm almost certainly going to have once I replace the MB? Thanks.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-transfer-windows-10-license-new-computer-or-hard-drive

This link shows how to de-activate Microsoft Windows, and then that license is possible to be transferred to another computer.

Shell to CMD as Administrator and type in the command to deactivate.
Of course in England, they can buy the retail version at a store still that can be deactivated and re-activated, but I do not know if ours in the USA not bought retail can do that.

That would be great if we can retire an old computer on Windows 10 and then re install Windows 11 on one that can accept an install of Windows 11.

UVK program has user interface that has options to repair. In the menu selection is, activate bios OEM Windows product key.

For once it worked on a H.P. Elite 8300 Ultra Slim. It found a hidden product key in the OEM bios when I had to change a motherboard.

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Windows defender does not like the magical jelly bean keyfinder, so I instaled AVG to disable Windows Defender. Hope that there is no virus.

This link shows how to de-activate Microsoft Windows, and then that license is possible to be transferred to another computer.
That only attaches to a retail copy of Windows, which is transportable. Unfortunately, we're dealing with an OEM factory installed copy.

Windows has a point system for activation, as strange as that sounds, and a ton of points are assigned to the board and the LAN. Which is why you can upgrade to your heart's content without an issue.. Basically you can change everything but the board.

On the bright side, I pooched a board once, replaced it, and reactivated the system, in spite of the fact it was an OEM copy. But, it wasn't a came with from the factory, it was a .bought over the counter from Newegg. still OEM though

That only attaches to a retail copy of Windows, which is transportable. Unfortunately, we're dealing with an OEM factory installed copy.

Windows has a point system for activation, as strange as that sounds, and a ton of points are assigned to the board and the LAN. Which is why you can upgrade to your heart's content without an issue.. Basically you can change everything but the board.

On the bright side, I pooched a board once, replaced it, and reactivated the system, in spite of the fact it was an OEM copy. But, it wasn't a came with from the factory, it was a .bought over the counter from Newegg. still OEM though
Recently I have discovered that my Microsoft account that I used on the Windows 10 installation keeps another motherboard active using the previous
Windows product key.
Your Windows Product Key is a part of your Microsoft email account that you set up. It will ask you if this is it, and you can say yes it is. So far so good. Do not delete the previous Microsoft Product Key account.
Does this make Captain Cranky quite mad?

Your Windows Product Key is a part of your Microsoft email account that you set up.
I have done no such thing as setting up a M$ email account. I have not capitulated to M$' "security propaganda" to embrace or capitulate to installing Win 10, nor do I have any immediate need to do so. I'm certainly not disposed of building or buying a new machine to acquiesce to Win 11's hardware requirements..
Do not delete the previous Microsoft Product Key account.
Does this make Captain Cranky quite mad?
Where do you summon the hubris to imagine this makes me "mad"? First off, there's an old saying, "dogs go mad, people get angry".

So, what I think you really meant to ask is, "am I jealous or envious that you still have your product key up and running", (Windows 7?). Certainly not. Nor do I envy you having to deal with M$ bullsh!t regarding forced up dates, or M$ introducing, "planned obsolescence", into the Windows platform.

Have fun with your (potential), video card hunt, and current "supply chain issues", while you're getting over on M$ so egregiously with your spare copy of Windows. At present, copies of Win 7 Pro are only selling for $30.00 anyway, which pretty much places your "windfall", as mere pocket change..

And do have yourself a nice day. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have done no such thing as setting up a M$ email account. I have not capitulated to M$' "security propaganda" to embrace or capitulate to installing Win 10, nor do I have any immediate need to do so. I'm certainly not disposed of building or buying a new machine to acquiesce to Win 11's hardware requirements..

Where do you summon the hubris to imagine this makes me "mad"? First off, there's an old saying, "dogs go mad, people get angry".

So, what I think you really meant to ask is, "am I jealous or envious that you still have your product key up and running", (Windows 7?). Certainly not. Nor do I envy you having to deal with M$ bullsh!t regarding forced up dates, or M$ introducing, "planned obsolescence", into the Windows platform.

Have fun with your (potential), video card hunt, and current "supply chain issues", while you're getting over on M$ so egregiously with your spare copy of Windows. At present, copies of Win 7 Pro are only selling for $30.00 anyway, which pretty much places your "windfall", as mere pocket change..

And do have yourself a nice day. :rolleyes:
With your "non genuine" Windows 7 Product Key that you bought from a cut rate vendor, you can use that Product Key
to activate a "Genuine" Windows 10. You paid only $30.00
and evenually a logo of non genuine copy appears after updates. When you can go no father, then install Windows 10
and use your Windows 7 Product Key.
Captian Cranky wins again and BEATS Microsoft.

With your "non genuine" Windows 7 Product Key that you bought from a cut rate vendor, you can use that Product Key
to activate a "Genuine" Windows 10.
OK, if these were "non genuine" copies of Windows 7, they were the best fakes ever, considering the marking on the packing and the amazing artwork on the install discs themselves.. Nonetheless, I was forced to call M$ support for activation, so it seems they have a sense of humor about the whole process. Considering I couldn't use the COA on the packing directly, I doubt I could use it to get a "free", (but unwanted), copy of Win 10 anyway.

As far as updates producing, "non genuine M$" watermarks, I turn updates off anyway. Thus, I escaped being terrorized by the Win 7 "update", which was blasting red screens all over people's machines, force feeding Win 10 to the masses, "for their own good". M$ even offered that "gem" as a manual update. But since, I read the text along with any update I install, I luckily managed to dodge that bullet.

As a virtual OS monopoly, M$ is inventing "new features", to humor the tech addicted.. My belief is that there;s a lot of meetings going on in executive washrooms around the globe, forcing, or perhaps cajoling, OEMs, (both hardware and software), to conspire with them to drop support for older versions of each.

As an example, PIA used to support Windows all the way back to XP. Then one day, they dropped support for every OS except 10. As it stands today, M$ will only even allow the free Vudu app for Windows 10.

As it turns out, if I want PIA or Firefox's VPN, all I have to do is install a "FREE" copy of any one of a number of the latest Linux distros alongside Windows 7, and I'm gold.

Windows 10 took away more usable features than it gave you. And the features it did add, are all readily available on free software. It does give an easy path to the Windows store, a super useful, "new feature".

So, I'm not out to "beat M$", just stay in control of my own machine's destinies.

As far as I'm concerned Satya Nadella is, "an a**hole's a**hole", and nothing more than a glorified H1-B. So, I have no intention of capitulating to his "New Delhi Slum School of Business", dreams of world domination.

So, back to you. Are you going to rush right out and get on the Windows 11 train, even if you have to buy new gear to utilize it?

OK, if these were "non genuine" copies of Windows 7, they were the best fakes ever, considering the marking on the packing and the amazing artwork on the install discs themselves.. Nonetheless, I was forced to call M$ support for activation, so it seems they have a sense of humor about the whole process. Considering I couldn't use the COA on the packing directly, I doubt I could use it to get a "free", (but unwanted), copy of Win 10 anyway.

As far as updates producing, "non genuine M$" watermarks, I turn updates off anyway. Thus, I escaped being terrorized by the Win 7 "update", which was blasting red screens all over people's machines, force feeding Win 10 to the masses, "for their own good". M$ even offered that "gem" as a manual update. But since, I read the text along with any update I install, I luckily managed to dodge that bullet.

As a virtual OS monopoly, M$ is inventing "new features", to humor the tech addicted.. My belief is that there;s a lot of meetings going on in executive washrooms around the globe, forcing, or perhaps cajoling, OEMs, (both hardware and software), to conspire with them to drop support for older versions of each.

As an example, PIA used to support Windows all the way back to XP. Then one day, they dropped support for every OS except 10. As it stands today, M$ will only even allow the free Vudu app for Windows 10.

As it turns out, if I want PIA or Firefox's VPN, all I have to do is install a "FREE" copy of any one of a number of the latest Linux distros alongside Windows 7, and I'm gold.

Windows 10 took away more usable features than it gave you. And the features it did add, are all readily available on free software. It does give an easy path to the Windows store, a super useful, "new feature".

So, I'm not out to "beat M$", just stay in control of my own machine's destinies.

As far as I'm concerned Satya Nadella is, "an a**hole's a**hole", and nothing more than a glorified H1-B. So, I have no intention of capitulating to his "New Delhi Slum School of Business", dreams of world domination.

So, back to you. Are you going to rush right out and get on the Windows 11 train, even if you have to buy new gear to utilize it?
I had a non genuine build of Windows 7 and the background of my screen went black background in the last update.
Previously I attempted Windows 10 on a Pentium D Dual processor. The first dual processor, but it said pre fetch could not be loaded and would not install until now when the latest Windows 10 would install.

As far as Windows 11 goes, I have a few H.P. machines of 2015 vintage that will accept Windows 11 after a struggle with switching to UEFI from Legacy and
activating the secure boot. These vintage machines made by ASUS but marketed by H.P. even have the Product Key in the bios, or the COA on the side of the SLIM form factor. All for a reasonable price to beat M$ out of a few bucks. For the price of the machine at $150.00 I get the Windows 11.
Very satisfying to beat M$ out of a few bucks.

I had a non genuine build of Windows 7 and the background of my screen went black background in the last update.
OK, here's the deal. M$ wouldn't allow me to activate these copies of Win 7 with the COA supplied on the package..! So, I had to call their "automated phone activation", which is a toll free. The automated system worked for the 32 bit pro version, but not for the 64 bit. So, I transferred to a human, and he activated it for me. I'm thinking the copies are valid, but M$ just wants you to jump through hoops, before they'll let you run the "ancient OS".

Like I said, I kill auto update from the jump. Which is why I'm so attached to W 7. Nvidia did force me to install 2 Windows updates, before I was able to install the driver for my turd a** GT-710. It was painless though, they even provided the links

Perhaps I'm a bit naive, but I'm thinking these are genuine M$ copies, but were blown out as overstock when the big switch to 10 occurred. (??) After all, I can't buy a copy of 7 from a registered M$ dealer, even if I wanted to. At this point, I'm wondering how long their registered dealers will be permitted to continue selling W 10.!

Here's a link to the seller from which I bought the Win 7 Pro. Notice he's selling it with a "broken laptop", ostensibly to meet the OEM requirement that OEM copies must be sold with a computer. Tell me what you think:

Just for laughs, here's Avira Free's detections and quarantine listing for the past 10 years on my internet box, (G-41 / Pent E-6300 32 bit W7 home).. No virus has ever been found on the system, despite my lack of attention to security per se. (Or M$' "babysitting").
Avira Quarantine Mar. 30.jpg

Last edited:
OK, here's the deal. M$ wouldn't allow me to activate these copies of Win 7 with the COA supplied on the package..! So, I had to call their "automated phone activation", which is a toll free. The automated system worked for the 32 bit pro version, but not for the 64 bit. So, I transferred to a human, and he activated it for me. I'm thinking the copies are valid, but M$ just wants you to jump through hoops, before they'll let you run the "ancient OS".

Like I said, I kill auto update from the jump. Which is why I'm so attached to W 7. Nvidia did force me to install 2 Windows updates, before I was able to install the driver for my turd a** GT-710. It was painless though, they even provided the links

Perhaps I'm a bit naive, but I'm thinking these are genuine M$ copies, but were blown out as overstock when the big switch to 10 occurred. (??) After all, I can't buy a copy of 7 from a registered M$ dealer, even if I wanted to. At this point, I'm wondering how long their registered dealers will be permitted to continue selling W 10.!

Here's a link to the seller from which I bought the Win 7 Pro. Notice he's selling it with a "broken laptop", ostensibly to meet the OEM requirement that OEM copies must be sold with a computer. Tell me what you think:

Just for laughs, here's Avira Free's detections and quarantine listing for the past 10 years on my internet box, (G-41 / Pent E-6300 32 bit W7 home).. No virus has ever been found on the system, despite my lack of attention to security per se. (Or M$' "babysitting").
View attachment 88276
A non-genuine build of Windows 7 and its Product Key may not
activate a Windows 10 installation. Got to the Microsoft store and buy one.

An over the counter retail version of Windows 7 still unsold from
England may work.

You show an eBay seller with no complaints and has 10 or more to sell of the same deal. $28.00 sale and it is through the USPS with free delivery. Buyer Beware. You will need a USA version download of Windows 7 to have that key activate it, and it may work.

When the MFG of the motherboard has a marriage with Microsoft Windows like H.P. does, you will deserve a copy of Windows 10 when you have the key for a Windows 7, although automatically it does not update to it, you have to download a Windows10.iso and burn it to DVD or put it on a flash drive USB.

I thought to only do business when I see this marriage and a Product Key in the Bios that automatically activates your M$ Windows 10 or 11.

Those viruses and trojans come from downloads that are shady most likely.

Back