How can I recover bad .jpg files?

G

g4mer

I accidentaly deleted all of my nice wallpapers and pictures :S....I used some software to recover 'em, but i get no preview available message when i try to open 'em....So, is there some software which can recover bad image files xD?

Thanks.

So you HAVE recovered the jpg files themselves, yes?

Meaning you can open the .jpg file and see the picture, yes?

If by "preview" you mean "thumbnail" view in Windows Explorer, you need to set Explorer View->Thumbnails

Sometimes a simple file copy from one directory to another will reset the files' values and as if by magic they will be restored. No idea why, but sometimes it works.

I dont see picture when i open it. It says "no preview avilable". I can't see thumbnail also...Tried many different programs, nothing worked. Tried renaming and moving, no luck.

Then I'm sorry but it looks as if you have lost them.
You could try a professional data recovery service but it will cost you - all depends on how irreplaceable the images are.

NOTE:!! I happened to find this link about recovering jpg files.. BUT i've never used or tried any of these tools / methods so Caveat Emptor! should you want to try anything the thread discusses

I tried every damn thing, nothing works..:( I think theres no more options available...lol.

I'm really sorry you lost your memories. It is for this reason back-ups are essential. I am also not a fan of the file recovery software. I'm not saying it never works but, they are very misleading about the files they recover. I would ask if you restored them to a drive other than the one they were originally located on? Rumor has it this helps.

happy to help

All u need is a software called "RECUVA".....It recovers deleted files!
& its absolutely FREE!
go to Google & search Recuva & download it.

Then, after you've installed it do as follows:
1. After you open recuva.....it opens in WIZARD kind of format....
2. Choose what Kind of file that you're looking for (in your case a picture)
3. Next it will ask you what was the location of the files when u deleted them..
e.g My Documents....etc
4. Now this is important....before you click FINISH....be sure to click that last checkbox
then, you will have a better chance of finding your file...but it'll take a while which should
not worry you.

there are also some RULES of data recovery which i just learned recently, which are....
1. NEVER install this software in the drive that u have to search in for deleted files...
2. NEVER recover those files in the same drive e.g if they were in C drive....recover
them in D drive..
all of this helps in COMPLETE data recovery!
HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

Plus one other important thing:

You'll have best results if the data removed (in this case .jpg's) hasn't been written over with other data.

Like for example:

You could delete everything in "My Pictures" and then run Recuva, and re-instate pretty much all of them if you did it immediately.

If you've been installing software since, its possible you've overwritten them - Hence the issues.

I would also recommend Recuva - But this sort of software isn't a replacement for backups. This day in age, drives are so cheap its very affordable to run an additional hard drive, used solely to keep backups on. You can also purchase software that automates this for you.

You could also try opening them up in something a bit heavier than windows preview. Try opening them up in a proper graphics software application - If you don't have one, I recommend Gimp: http://www.gimp.org/ its free!

Back