Build a PC How did my Windows key become disabled?

Messymess66

I have recently somehow disabled my windows key. I have tried going to Microsoft and doing the "Fix it" thing for the registry and it does not work. I have tried this numerous times. Could it possibly be the keyboard I'm using? It use to work however with the same keyboard. I use Avast Anti-Virus, Malwarebytes and iObit system care as my general cleaners. Not sure if any of those have a default setting to disable the button. Thoughts / Suggestions please?!?!

Tmagic650

Do you mean Windows is asking you to activate again? What version of Windows are you running?

Messymess66

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The windows button on the keyboard is not working. When I push it pops up in bottom right corner saying "Key Disabled"

misor

Did you use any keyboard configurator?
I use wirekeys which has the potential to block "windows" key if enabled.

also, usually, there are two "windows" key buttons on the keyboard.
try the left button.

hood6558

Well, obviously the key is working since the message shows up, so it has to be a software problem. Boot into safe mode and see if the problem persists. Or run msconfig, selective startup, until you figure out what's changing the setting.

Tmagic650

I've never come across this. I thought it was an activation key sequence probem. I don't use the Windows keyboard key much*nerd*

Messymess66

Misor I have tried the "Microsoft fix it" and it didnt work. I'm to the point where I think it may be some type of security I have enabled somehow.

I have the Microsoft X4 sidewinder keyboard, if that helps any?

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedt32, and then click OK.
  2. On the Windows menu, click HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE on Local Machine.
  3. Double-click the System\CurrentControlSet\Control folder, and then click the Keyboard Layout folder.
  4. Right-click the Scancode Map registry entry, and then click Delete. Click Yes.
  5. Close Registry Editor and restart the computer.

Messymess66

I have keyboard layout and keyboard layouts. Under keyboard layout I have 2 folders one named "DosKeybCodes" and the other "DosKeybIDs" and under the Keyboard Layouts folder there is a lot of folders with numbers as their name. That is the farthest I have gotten.

Messymess66

HA YES!!! TY I wasn't aware that it was in gaming mode. Learning something everyday. A big Thanks!

G

I have a Logitech G110 gaming keyboard, and when I was cleaning it I inadvertently enabled gaming mode when the switch featuring the Joystick icon above the F2 & F3 function keys was slid from the left (off) position to the right (on) position.

Note to self: clean keyboard when the computer is completely turned off, not just when the screen is locked.

G

I have a Logitech G110 gaming keyboard, and when I was cleaning it I inadvertently enabled gaming mode when the switch featuring the Joystick icon above the F2 & F3 function keys was slid from the left (off) position to the right (on) position.

Note to self: clean keyboard when the computer is completely turned off, not just when the screen is locked.
^ thanks for this...exact problem!