How do I get streaming audio to stop skipping when I open tabs

jckinnick

I sometimes listen to XM Radio's online stream while browsing. I usually open the player in a different browser than the one im using while listening. Lately every time i open a multiple tabs while browsing the audio will skip.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Simple thing to try:
Sound control panel, select speakers (or headphones if you use them) and click properties. Then the advanced tab. Both boxes are checked for Exclusive Mode on my system and I don't have any problems, but you might try unchecking 'Give exclusive mode applications priority'.

More advanced thing to try:
Go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile and see what the system responsiveness is set to. Ideally it should be 20, in Server by default I think it is 100. So if you are running Server that is probably your issue, if you aren't, it might still be worth looking at anyway.

Simple thing to try:
Sound control panel, select speakers (or headphones if you use them) and click properties. Then the advanced tab. Both boxes are checked for Exclusive Mode on my system and I don't have any problems, but you might try unchecking 'Give exclusive mode applications priority'.

More advanced thing to try:
Go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile and see what the system responsiveness is set to. Ideally it should be 20, in Server by default I think it is 100. So if you are running Server that is probably your issue, if you aren't, it might still be worth looking at anyway.

I looked at the sound options from the control panel and didn't see anything that said "exclusive mode" in the advanced section under speakers. Im using a soundmax digital audio and all my drivers are up to date.

The other part where you said to go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile i don't know where that is.

Also i doesn't skip all the time just when ive been on for a while.

Also it doesnt really do it until its been on for awhile and it only does it with that one program and none of the other audio programs.

I'm not sure then. Maybe there is a memory leak, or the plugin you use to play the audio has an issue.

I'd just not worry about it and close the browser occationally. Depending on the browser you use it should either automatically restore your tabs or you can get an add-on that will restore them for you.

Back