How do I use 2 laptops on one wifi router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the linksys WAP11 router and only one computer (laptop(MAC)) works on it at a time. I called Linksys but they say I have to pay $ to get the answer ( I am out of warranty period). Any advice. I am using two MAC's and have my modem connecting to my Wireless Access Point WAP11 wifi router.

It looks like the WAP11 is only an Access Point. Do you have a router connected as well? The router allows you to have mulitple computers online at the same time. Right now you are only connected through your modem, which allows 1 computer to connect at a time.

You need to get a router if you do not have one. Once you have a router, you can post back and we will help you set it up.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.

A message for all newcomers.

SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.

Thanks.

A wireless accesss point must be plugged into a router.
from there you can connect many computers to it.

From the sounds of it, your current config only allows 1 computer.

a regular wifi router or land router with an access point plugged in should work just fine.

The latter is preferred if you use VOIP.

But why do they say with some $$ they can Fix

I just don't get it. tech support at Linksys has called me back 4 times within 24hrs to have me pay for Premium Tech support so that I can make this happen. But it seems that what you are saying is that I am missing a piece of Equiptment. What gives? Can my access point actually let multiple computers WIRELESSLY connect without another piece of hardware.

Get a Router

Hi. I just read your post. It looks like you just bought a WAP ( Wireless Access Point). What you need is a Wireless Router. I went onto the website for your product and this is what I came up with:

Product Features and Technical Details
Product Features

* High-speed transfer rate of up to 11 Mbps
* Range of operation of up to 150 meters indoors, up to 500 meters outdoors
* Provides roaming, best access point selection, load balancing, and network traffic filtering
* Interoperable with IEEE 802.11b (DSSS) 2.4 GHz-compliant equipment, and supports up to 32 users/nodes
* Router not included, so you cannot connect multiple users to the Internet

Notice the part in Red. Sorry man but you are gonna have to bite the bullet on this one. Here's the link to the website that explains it:

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WAP11.../B00005854B/ref=de_a_smtd/102-3782106-0400154

Good luck. By the way: Don't pay them for tech support. Just get a router.

JPIIweLoveYou said:
WOW, thanks so much. That makes a heck of a lot more sense. Stinkin Tech support, trying to get my money. Thanks a lot everyone! Peace
Yes, sometimes they are only out for their own good, and not the good of the customer.

That's why you have TechSpot!!!

Plesae post back if you have any problems getting your router setup properly.

A wireless access point should allow multiple connections if it has the ability to be connected directly to your broadband. If not, you will need a router (separate) that connects to your broadband.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back