Weird wifi situation

learninmypc

I'm about 65 feet from the wifi modem/router & downstairs, maybe 2 walls. On my HP laptop I have problems uploading pictures or very short videos, sometimes it works, sometimes no. On my Acer, no problem at all. Any ideas or suggestions

Have you tried updating the drivers? If you know who manufactured the WiFi chipset, you might try searching the manufacturer's site for new drivers.

Assuming you are in Windows, open Device Manager, Find Network Adapters, and look for the WiFi adapter entry. Right-click on the entry in Device Manger, and select "Properties". On the General tab, it should tell you the name of the WiFi chip manufacturer. You can also try "update drivers" from the right-click menu.

Another possibility is to uninstall the device, then reinstall it.

Ok, I'm doubting it had/has anything to do with the laptop, I took my HP desk top out of closet, got it fully updated & this morning same thing happened, I can see the wifi bars fluctuating from 2 to 5 bars.

Maybe an antenna problem like a loose connection, since the signal strength fluctuates. The antenna runs around the lcd in a laptop and is usually connected to the motherboard near the hinges. How old is your HP laptop?

HP laptop maybe 3 years old, about same for HP desktop. I read it could be weather related too, amongst other things

I read it could be weather related too, amongst other things
Weather, interference from another source (a local microwave, a nearby neighbor), even potentially a multipath reflection from the shifting of something large and metallic in or around your home. If two separate systems at that location are affected while a third isn't, that makes me believe it's band-related, and the third (newer, perhaps?) has the capability to address the newer 5/6 ghz bands.

Understood, but like the first time, it was just a day it happened, been great till yesterday, hopefully it'll be better.

I'm about 65 feet from the wifi modem/router & downstairs, maybe 2 walls. On my HP laptop I have problems uploading pictures or very short videos, sometimes it works, sometimes no. On my Acer, no problem at all. Any ideas or suggestions
It sounds like there might be something affecting the WiFi signal specifically for your HP laptop. Here are a couple things to try:

1. Forget and Rejoin the Network: This can sometimes clear up glitches with how your laptop remembers the network. On your HP, go to your WiFi settings, find your network name, click "Forget" and then rejoin the network entering the password again.
  2. Check Network Adapters: Outdated drivers can cause connection issues. Make sure your HP laptop's WiFi adapter drivers are up to date. You can usually find them through the HP support website or driver update tools built into Windows.
If those don't work, it could be interference with the signal downstairs. You can try moving your router to a more central location or using a WiFi extender to boost the signal strength for your HP laptop.

Ok, during the work week, 99% of the time no problems. On my desktop ONLY, I can see the wifi icon 1713042390766.pnggo from a dot to ALLbars. Nothing negative in Device Manager. I have NO access to moden/router. My Acer laptop is fine so far. Puzzled

Since I had no problems on my Acer laptop yesterday, just on my HP desktop, could it of been an HP problem? Its totally normal today.

Back