How do people usually fix an SDHC card that has gone bad

ingeborgdot

I was curious about how to fix an SDHC card that has started telling the camera the memory card has an error and that it is locked. Then when you went to put it in the computer the computer won't recognize it at all either. I did a Google on this problem and the only thing I could find was about the little slide on the side that would lock the card.

That was not the case with this as it happened in the camera. We were at a Luau in Maui and the card went to 0 and said Memory card error. Not a nice thing to see when you have a couple days worth of pictures from Kauai and another couple from Maui. I then placed the card in the computer when we got back from the Luau hoping I could recover them from the card. No program was going to be able to recover them because now the computer will not even recognize the card when I put it in. I cleaned the contacts on the card with a Q tip to make sure they were not dirty but that still did not help.

I was curious to find out what people have done to get the card to work. I did come up with a solution but am just wondering what others have done.

i'm pretty curious too! Let us know if you find a solution. As if the card doesn't work on any camera or computer i don't know what other options there are other then the 2 you already tried (i.e. checking for a "read-only" tab and cleaning the contacts).

Oh. Well, that is other then an expensive solution of giving it to a shop that might be able to extract the data for you if they can repair the contacts or otherwise connect directly to the storage to dump raw data etc.

SD card you can stick that in a ziplock bag with a paper towel folder into a square placing the SD inside that. Place that into your freezer for 30 hrs. Take it out let it stand at room temp. Now you could run a check.cmd

select volume 2
remove noerr
assign letter=W noerr
select volume 3
remove noerr
assign letter=x noerr
select volume 4
remove noerr
assign letter=y noerr
select volume 5
remove noerr
assign letter=z noerr
select volume 0
remove noerr
assign letter=f noerr

On the drive letter that comes up for your SD card. Remember to Run as the Admin here.

I thought I answered this the other day on here but it must have been on another forum. I actually put it in the freezer for almost an hour and it started working. I am not going to use it for anything important but will continue to play and work with it to see how long it goes before it goes bad again, or if it does.

Back