How does two 8800gt XFX Alpha dog xxx in SLI compare with..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerlinFist

hi,

Just one to pick your brains, I rig is ned of some updating, I hav a E6700 (not great but when I bought it it was the bee's knee!) paired with two geforce 8800gt XFX alpha dog xxx editions in SLI, juicey, yep, hot, always!! however I know the processor is in need of updateing but my question is how about the graphics cards? is it worth it or even cost effective to update with a more modern card or does the sli on 8800 work well enough, would I really see a huge difference (abet the electricty bill) if I went for a newer model?

Any input would be great.

Thanks

That kind of depends on what resolution you game at, what level of eye candy you're happy with in-game, what games you are playing and budget if you were to upgrade.
8800GT's in SLI are a pretty popular setup and give reasonable performance up to 1680x1050/1200 in most older games (DX9 and OpenGL mainly) but I think that 1920x1080 is a more than a little taxing on the cards, as are games built primarily with DX10 and 11 in mind.
You can get an idea of how your SLI stacks up against some of the newer (AMD) cards here -it's reasonably recent although you can probably add a little to the newer cards fps to allow for driver improvements

Hi, thanks for that, I am running in 1650, so not mega but it suits me. The link you put in really helps, so thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back