How enable "USB Legacy support" on SN78SH7 Shuttle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Shuttle SN78SH7 with the latest SN78S10Y BIOS. I had been using a wired USB KB, which works fine. I recently switched to a wireless KB, but it does not work during POST or the grub2 menu. It works fine though once the OS boots up.

I understand I should try enabling "Legacy USB support" in the BIOS, but I can't find that in the menu. Can someone point me to the right setting?

-Thanks, zog

The wireless KB has a USB dongle, so I can't use a PS/2 adapter. (Since the wired USB KB works fine, so I don't need a PS/2 adapter with that either.)

I also don't know which setting in the BIOS is for Legaccy USB support enable/disable.

-zog

can't use PS/2 adapter

The wireless KB has a USB dongle, so I can't use a PS/2 adapter. (Since the wired USB KB works fine, so I don't need a PS/2 adapter with that either.)

I also don't know which setting in the BIOS is for Legaccy USB support enable/disable.

-zog

I have a Shuttle SN78SH7 with the latest SN78S10Y BIOS. I had been using a wired USB KB, which works fine. I recently switched to a wireless KB, but it does not work during POST or the grub2 menu. It works fine though once the OS boots up<snip>

Hi Zog

What kind of wireless KB do you have?
> Typically, if a wired USB keyboard works at bootup (i.e. before Windows starts) so should a wireless KB
> As typically the communication between KB and wireless antennae has nothing to do with USB support (short of the USB port supplying power to the antennae)
> So i wonder if USB legacy isn't already enabled as you report the wired USB is working

Why (or when) would one need to keep USB legacy turned off? just curious as i hadn't heard that before nor ever done so myself

It depends on the motherboard/bios... I had a Gigabyte motherboard that I had to turn off legacy USB support to detect a USB keyboard during boot. My current Abit IP35 Pro doesn't need USB legacy turned off, although it won't detect an F8 key press

Oops. i should re-phrase what i meant in my earlier post.

On the one hand...
I do know in earlier USB days, it was sometimes required to turn USB legacy off in BIOS in order for USB to work correctly once Windows was started

However...
I'd never heard of turning it off in order get USB to work before Windows starts (i.e.. while BIOS is still in control of the peripherals) which what i understand Zog is trying to do

For Zog's case: i'm also a bit surprised to learn USB wired works in BIOS but not USB wireless (as from the BIOS perspective, i wouldn't think it even knows the difference between the two vs. just seeing a USB device being connected. The antennae <==> keyboard wireless communication is strictly between the antennae and keyboard and independent of USB)

From my own experience (and i have a Logitech MX3200 wireless keyboard/mouse) the wireless keyboard works fine 90% (but not 100%) of the time during BIOS boot. I haven't explored why that 10% of the time the key presses aren't detected

/* editt */
Zog: During the BIOS boot (when still waiting for keyboard input) have you tried resync'ing the antennae and keyboard? (There's usually a button to click on both antennae and keyboard to do so)

Yes LookinAround,
with that Gigabyte board, it would not complete the boot process with my iPod connected, if legacy USB was enabled. So I left it off. The wireless Logitech EX110 keyboard and mouse work either way. On boot up I can select one of 2 operating systems, but the computer won't "see" an F8 keypress to enter Safe Mode

I wonder if your Logitech model handles "Function" keys somewhat different then "Standard" keys (e.g. i wouldn't be surprised if hot keys and programmable type keys aren't recognized by USB emulation in BIOS)

One thought: Have you checked the Logitech website to see if there are any firmware and/or driver updates for your antennae and/or keyboard?

@Tmagic
In addition to firmware/software updates, look for an F lock key as well on your keyboard (logitech calls it an F mode key i think see here)
> Try toggling it on/off to see if F8 will work in BIOS

@Zog
You might also check for firmware/software updates for your USB wireless device

LookinAround,
I found out what the problem was. I had the Start Up & Recovery setting "Time to display recovery options" set to 0. I moved the slider to 15 seconds, and F8 is now functional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back