How Much Watt PSU do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portugees

Soon i am going to build a pc but i am not really sure how much Watt my system requires. I have used psu calculator but some say it doesnt calculate right so i wanted to know from someone how much watt my setup requires.

Build setup:

CPU: Intel Q9550
Motherboard: MSI P45D3
Graphics card: XFX GTX285 Black edition (OC'ed edition)
Ram: 6GB (kit of 3 dimms)
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 (1TB, 7200rpm)
1 Cd/Dvd diskdrive
4 Coldcathode lights
7 Fans (including CPU fan)
Fan Controller

My cousin has the PSU: Tagan Piperock of 600W and i could buy it from him for verry cheap but i dont know if its enough for the setup i wanted so could anyone please tell me if 600W is enough and if i have enough space for another Harddisk later or if my system requires more than 600W?

Cheers, Portugees

I would not recommend buying a used PSU, especially if it has been used for a year or more; the capacitors in the supply lose their charge-carrying capacity and reduce the overall output of the PSU. The PSU's efficiency also suffers.

The Corsair 650TX would be more than sufficient for your system IMO. You can also go with the Antec TruePower Trio! 650W PSU as well.

Thank you for your quick reply.
He has only used it for 4-5 monthes because he changed to a 1000W for his gtx295
but so you think that Tagan 600W wil not be enough for the setup i wanted??

And if 600W is not enough is the Nexus RX-8500 a good PSU? Because wanted a modular PSU that is enough but isn't verry expensive!

Cheers

Nah, I would recommend the Enermax Modu82+ 625W or Corsair 620HX instead. Both are excellent quality modular PSUs that will provide good, clean power to your system.

You can also go with the Tagan if your cousin has not used the PSU 24\7 for the time he has had it.

Are you in England or other non-USA country? That is where I see the Tagan... I have never seen one of them fail, and it is certainly equal to the Enermax and others over there.
You will be happy with the Tagan when it has short hours of use such as you describe.

Nah, I would recommend the Enermax Modu82+ 625W or Corsair 620HX instead. Both are excellent quality modular PSUs that will provide good, clean power to your system.

You can also go with the Tagan if your cousin has not used the PSU 24\7 for the time he has had it.

HMM okay but with the 600W Tagan i will be good too right???
Want to know it because if 600W is enough i will buy my cousins PSU.

Nothing wrong with the Tagan... It is every bit as well built as the Enermax... and 600 watts in a Tagan is plenty for what you have.
Good luck to you... A Tagan with only four months of use is a great choice, and the price was right.
Let us know how everything worked when you have some time.

Oke Thank You both verry much:grinthumb
I am planning to gett the parts in July will then build it together and post some pictures:).

I am happy to hear that 600W is enough because i now save a lot of money that i can spend on maybe a second Harddisk.

Thank you guys again;)
Cheers, Portugees

Like they said.. 600w and you will have no problems and it will work like a charm.

Also he is right, do not buy used hardware.

just make sure the 600w one has at least 2 rails ,,, gl

I have tested with the calculator and have put 30% on it and i came out with: 531 W

The Tagan my cousin has selling has 3 rails so it's good.
He only used it for a few months so i don't see why it isn't a good PSU anymore??
It were only 4 months he used it maybe less so i think it should be working fine.

Greets

I would not recommend buying a used PSU, especially if it has been used for a year or more; the capacitors in the supply lose their charge-carrying capacity and reduce the overall output of the PSU. The PSU's efficiency also suffers.

The Corsair 650TX would be more than sufficient for your system IMO. You can also go with the Antec TruePower Trio! 650W PSU as well.

As long as they are good capacitors (Rubycon, UCC, Sanyo, Nichicon,) they can last just fine without performance issues for years.

Most tagans are Topowers with questionable caps, I would stay away.

Some new Tagans are made by Etasis who makes a lot of silverstones.

Tagans have a remarkably low failure rate. We have used them for years in that market... Verify your comment that they have questionable caps... because we have never seen one.
This Tagan has the rails... it has the power... it has the positive history... and it has the respect of those who use it...
Name a power supply that fails because of questionable caps... certainly not this Tagan.

I highly recommend the SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT. It is a top quality power supply from a top power supply maker. It is also one the most energy efficient, quietess power supplies on the market. Silent PC review wrote a great review on it. I use it for my system which takes alot of power.

Tagans have a remarkably low failure rate. We have used them for years in that market... Verify your comment that they have questionable caps... because we have never seen one.
This Tagan has the rails... it has the power... it has the positive history... and it has the respect of those who use it...
Name a power supply that fails because of questionable caps... certainly not this Tagan.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=8

Jenpo brand capacitors on the output side. Not good capacitors. If you don't believe me, take a poke around here : www.badcaps.net/forum

Tagan=Topower

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTYzMCwzLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Topower 800w, Hermei secondary caps, also notorious for going bad.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=71

Scroll down to the topower unit, Viva capacitors are also notorious for going bad. Look at the scope shots from it, too, thats what A bad capacitor can cause. Thats wayyyyyy out of ATX spec, meaning you just exploded your rig.

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5431&highlight=topower

Hmmm, more bad caps. This time Fujiyuu's, which are the caps that effected so many older antecs, and are regarded as some of the worst caps.

I agree with you:)
Here in the Netherlands, Tagan is on the list of the best quality PSU's you can gett that's why i wanted to buy my cousins PSU and that's why i wanted to know if
600W was enough for the setup i wanted(now i know it is:)).

I never heared bad things about the Tagan PSU's and they are in the high quality top list with Corsair and Enermax so i suppose this ain't some crappy PSU's but High Quality PSU's

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=8

Jenpo brand capacitors on the output side. Not good capacitors. If you don't believe me, take a poke around here : www.badcaps.net/forum

Tagan=Topower

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTYzMCwzLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Topower 800w, Hermei secondary caps, also notorious for going bad.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=71

Scroll down to the topower unit, Viva capacitors are also notorious for going bad. Look at the scope shots from it, too, thats what A bad capacitor can cause. Thats wayyyyyy out of ATX spec, meaning you just exploded your rig.

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5431&highlight=topower

Hmmm, more bad caps. This time Fujiyuu's, which are the caps that effected so many older antecs, and are regarded as some of the worst caps.

I think people have bad experience with them maybe because they test their PSU's to the limit. But i can find so many article/reviews that they have bad experience with other High Quality PSU's too. So it's not Tagans fault it's how people handle their PSU

Cheers

Quantex_rox said:
As long as they are good capacitors (Rubycon, UCC, Sanyo, Nichicon,) they can last just fine without performance issues for years.
There would never be performance issues; the capacitors just cannot handle a year of intensive (read gaming) usage and total charge capacity will drop, regardless of how good they are. This may cause performance issues only if the power supplied drops below what the system needs.

As for Tagans, the build quality varies wildly from very good to plain rubbish. They have the odd tendency to use crappy Chinese caps on some of their higher-wattage PSUs like the 1kW ones.

Still, since the OP will not be pulling more than 400W from that PSU, it will be a-ok IMO.

There would never be performance issues; the capacitors just cannot handle a year of intensive (read gaming) usage and total charge capacity will drop, regardless of how good they are. This may cause performance issues only if the power supplied drops below what the system needs.

As for Tagans, the build quality varies wildly from very good to plain rubbish. They have the odd tendency to use crappy Chinese caps on some of their higher-wattage PSUs like the 1kW ones.

Still, since the OP will not be pulling more than 400W from that PSU, it will be a-ok IMO.

Agreed, they run just fine and have good stability for what components they use (some new tagans are built by Etasis, who is the OEM for many silverstones). Its just they won't last as long as something like a zippy, delta, or new antec (see cpx850~~~SEXY PSU)

Also, manufacturer's of GOOD capacitors rate their caps to vent (or pop) at a certain temp, commonly 85C or 105C. Anything under that, they will run their manufacturer rated lifespan fine as long as the ripple is also in their rated spec. There is no deterioration of the electrolytic (in good capacitors anyway,) that is just a myth developed by who-knows, most electrolytic capacitors have a lifespan of 2,000-5,000 (thats at the highest rated temp and at the highest rated ripple) under normal conditions, they can last 30-40,000 hours. Any performance issues in a power supply with good caps that are still good and haven't been subjected to extreme heat or ripple is typically a issue with the load on a power supply or a different part in them.

The electrolyte does deteriorate due to water evaporation; it is no myth. That is the main reason most good-quality mobo manufacturers use solid polymer caps.

And I agree, the CPX-850 looks like a very interesting new twist. Let's hope CPX pans out well and doesn't go as largely ignored as BTX.

But that takes a very long time even in bad capacitors. Solid caps still have a lifespan, and they are typically about the same amount of time as electrolytics. They are just able to reduce ripple even more effectively, and are super low ESR.

There are often caps that look like solid caps, but are actually electrolytics, they usually have thinner metal so they can barely stamp a vent in it so you can't see it.

What causes low quality caps to fail prematurely is the electrolyte breaks down and produces hydrogen gas, that causes the electrolyte to dry up in the capacitor, increasing the ESR to a failure level. When too much of the electrolyte has broken down, it will cause a lot of hydrogen gas to build up and eventually burst the capacitor (a.k.a to vent, the reason why there is the vent stamped on the capacitor)

Every 10 degrees hotter a capacitor is, its life time is cut in half. This is true for polymer and electrolytic capacitors. Polymers tend to have a longer lifespan at a higher temperature.

Wow, a new statistic. I'll bet my broadcast engineers would love to know that..
I do not find it documented anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back