If I have a PC fan and I need another for my gaming PC, how do I find the connection type of my PC fan using a software?

PCs that just have one or two fans in the case are usually plugged into motherboard headers. These are small three or four pin connectors that provide the power to the fan.

The fan cooling the CPU is usually plugged into a header that’s just for that fan, but most motherboards have at least two more headers to attach extra fans to.

If your PC already has one extra fan, follow its cable and you’ll see what header it’s connected to. Look around the motherboard to find the others, or use its manual to find them.

All fans will work on three pin headers, but some fans can take four pins - the extra pin lets the computer control the fan more accurately. This controlling can handled by the motherboard BIOS or by software such as this one:

Because fans contain no information chips or devices, no program can tell what type of fan you have connected, only how fast it’s spinning or how many volts is being supplied to it.

PCs that just have one or two fans in the case are usually plugged into motherboard headers. These are small three or four pin connectors that provide the power to the fan.

The fan cooling the CPU is usually plugged into a header that’s just for that fan, but most motherboards have at least two more headers to attach extra fans to.

If your PC already has one extra fan, follow its cable and you’ll see what header it’s connected to. Look around the motherboard to find the others, or use its manual to find them.

All fans will work on three pin headers, but some fans can take four pins - the extra pin lets the computer control the fan more accurately. This controlling can handled by the motherboard BIOS or by software such as this one:

Because fans contain no information chips or devices, no program can tell what type of fan you have connected, only how fast it’s spinning or how many volts is being supplied to it.
a PC fan is the same as a fan cooler ; and if the answer is no, how do I find out the type of connection of a fan cooler using a software ?

No software can easily tell you what type of connection any fan is using -- you would have to figure it out by seeing if the fan supports PWM control. But even then, it depends on the motherboard header and the plug the fan uses.

FAQ-3-4-pin.jpg

To add another fan to your PC, you will need to look at the motherboard or read the instruction manual for it. Using the manual is best because it will show you where on the motherboard the connections for fans are, and how many pins they have.

If you don't know what motherboard you have in your computer, then there is software that can tell you want it is:

The make and model of your motherboard should be visible in the second tab:

cpuz_mainboard_tab.png

Back