How the pandemic and politics are affecting online dating

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: The global pandemic and a high-stakes presidential election were just a couple of the unique challenges and circumstances that folks living in 2020 have had to face this year. Through the thick and thin, however, one thing has persisted – the need for human connection. Whether through the proliferation of videoconferencing apps like Zoom or existing platforms such as dating apps, people are looking to connect with others now more than ever.

OkCupid, an online dating service in the Match Group portfolio, recently analyzed this year’s dating landscape in hopes of identifying trends likely to emerge in 2021.

Since the start of the pandemic, OkCupid has observed that connections and conversations across borders are up nearly 50 percent with people increasingly setting their location preferences to “anywhere.”

What’s more, 92 percent of respondents said they were still looking for love during lockdown while nearly 30 percent said they had been on at least one virtual date during quarantine.

Curiously enough, the pandemic has also led to a slowdown in the dating process. That is, the rush to meet a match in real life is decelerating and people are taking the time to more intimately connect with matches through deep conversation and virtual dating.

When it comes to politics, however, OkCupid believes that 2021 will see even more people refusing to date outside of party lines. A full 64 percent of those surveyed said they prefer that their date shares their political views while 60 percent said they flat out couldn’t date someone whose political views were the opposite of theirs.

Image credit: Jakub Krechowicz, Tero Vesalainen

Permalink to story.

When you consider how tiny is the overall audience that uses online dating services like OkCupid, then all that statistics isn't worth much. It is taken from the tiny (0.5% of population for OkCupid), who think that online dating is something worth doing. That in itself isn't in any way representative of the general population's view on these things. People in general do not bother with online dating services, which already says it all.

Liberal Feminism itself is creating bad dating situations for men in America.

Solution: Get a foreign wife from a poor country who has no legal rights in the USA.
I've seen those turned into liberal feminists after 3 years. The environment is full of infectious ideas, it's like a decease. New people are trying to integrate, naturally, and get consumed by the system and the environment.

Greeted by a nice face and smile, then eaten up, and shitted out, in that order.

Last edited:
My experience is the exact opposite, girls are even harder to reach than before. They're more afraid and more anti-social these days. They might waste more time on these apps but that's about it. That doesn't lead to actual relationships, only chit-chat at best.

OKC has been watching their userbase and daily user count collapse for years now (because Match keeps sabotaging them). Is their data even still relevant?

Call me old-fashioned, but going out and physically talking to somebody in an attempt to get to know them in person sounds like the better idea anyways.

Like everything else these days, the portal that you view people through your screen takes some of the humanistic qualities out of the equation when you start looking to get to know someone. You look at a person on a dating site as more of a metric than a person.

Put your big girl panties on and get the hell out there and start talking to people, quit being lazy. No pity for those who (statistically) set themselves up for failure.

My experience is the exact opposite, girls are even harder to reach than before. They're more afraid and more anti-social these days. They might waste more time on these apps but that's about it. That doesn't lead to actual relationships, only chit-chat at best.

This is 100% true.

Call me old-fashioned, but going out and physically talking to somebody in an attempt to get to know them in person sounds like the better idea anyways.

Like everything else these days, the portal that you view people through your screen takes some of the humanistic qualities out of the equation when you start looking to get to know someone. You look at a person on a dating site as more of a metric than a person.

Put your big girl panties on and get the hell out there and start talking to people, quit being lazy. No pity for those who (statistically) set themselves up for failure.

Tone aside, your advice is solid. However, here are the roadblocks:
1. COVID19
2. Fear
3. Laziness
4. Selfishness (AKA hyper-individualism)
5. Fear
6. Disingenuousness (many women are looking for a thug or sugar daddy, not a genuine relationship)
7. Lack of adult communication skills
8. Fear (yes, I repeated it twice)

I'm just preparing for borders to open back up so I can go resettle in a different less-repressed/less-deplorable/less-fearful country. I'd love to meet real, actual, physical, IRL human women and go on actual dates.

Solution: Get a foreign wife from a poor country who has no legal rights in the USA.
I'm sick of 49ers(4 looking girls act like 9) in the bay area and taxes in California. 40% of my fncking salary goes to the fncking illegal immigrants' healthcare.
I'm actually thinking about moving to Thailand and have a bunch of babies with different women for the rest of my 30's and bring those women and kids in Califonia to screw the welfare system.

Last edited:

I am sure it is - for those looking for sex slaves. If that is what you want, perhaps you should follow your own advice, however, don't wonder what happened if you meet another lorena Bobbit.

Back