1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Boost Your Router Security

By learninmypc · 8 replies
Oct 11, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. These tips will help you keep your personal data safe

When it comes to safeguarding your personal data, there may be no more important piece of tech than your humble router.

Because these devices transmit all the data that flows in and out of your home, including email and credit card information, routers have long been a favorite target for hackers. FULL ARTICLE

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,112   +1,593

Your article is quite sound - - except
    Todate, I've not found an AV that runs inside a router nor one specifically designed to "protect the router".

The suggestions for disabling UPnP and Remote Management are spot on and selecting a complex password is just plain mandatory.

learninmypc likes this.
  3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 8,918   +630

Thank you, I admire your knowledge :)

4. jobeard

I should also note, that there are routers with built-in firewall software, and conceptually this is attractive in that one FW protects the entire LAN.

However, I would not like my router being updated daily (at any hour) and there are complications for how you treat different systems -- eg: one might have shares for everyone while another might be business oriented and need to avoid shares altogether.

Just me and my OCD.

learninmypc likes this.
  5. GaryMove

GaryMove TS Enthusiast Posts: 169   +13

Big thanks for the info.
    I found it very useful.

6. deepweb

deepweb TS Rookie

Thanks for the information but we can boost router security by upgrade router firmware or if router can support DD-WRT firmware then must upgrade and configure open VPN.

7. Digital Saad

Digital Saad TS Rookie

It's working big thanks for these sharing tips.

8. jobeard

1. Not aware of any additional security feature(s) of DD-WRT and it & Tomato are applicable to few brand names
    2. as new day-1 from the box, ALL routers should look for updated firmware
    I did find mention of
    but that's really no enhancement to security itself.

Netgear can be configured to email the logs to you :)

9. jobeard

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...