How to control which programs load on startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

higgeo

Hi. How do I control which programs load on startup? I have many programs that clog up everything on start up of my computer. I normaly takes a few minnits. Also what programs should i have load on start up?

Please help

I have...
Windows XP home
Dell dimension E521

Higgeo

For a good tutorial on the problem as well as techniques and info on how to identify and disable unnecessary startups look here

The Tutorial is excellent. Let me give you a short version:

The only processes you need to Start at boot are: antivirus program, firewall, touchpad for laptop and network process if on network. "Everything" else can be called up when needed. Everything that starts up on boot, runs in the background, so dragging around unneeded programs will slow overall performance.

You using the msconfig utility to access the Startup Menu: the basics:

Start> Run> type in ''msconfig' without the quotes> Selective Start-up> Startup tab> uncheck all but the above noted processes> Apply> OK.

Reboot> Close the nag message that comes up after checking 'don't show this message again'.

The processes can usually be identified easily using a database:
STARTUP APPLICATION DATABASE LIST
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

The processes you uncheck remain on that Startup list, so if you have unchecked one that does need to run, you can go back in and recheck it..

As mentioned, this is the basic. You will find much more detail in the Startup Tutorial.

Spybot SD14 has an excellent start-up editor under it's "tools" section. It pretty much will do everything that "msconfig" will do, other than nag you the next time you boot up. This is good or bad depending upon circumstance. It can also detect spyware, which msconfig won't do.

For my own 2cents
  • Mike Lin's Startup control panel. Recommend this for a newbie first getting familiar with startups and the cleanup process. It lists the application and other type startups a newbie would more easily recognize and find easier to deal with
  • Spybot's startup tool is a great next step to digging into your system for startups, or just advance directly to:
  • Autoruns for an in depth look at everything started / loaded on your machine.
Finally, as an fyi to all, you should also checkout Runscanner. It's a freeware Freeware startup and hijack analyzer that does much of the up front analysis for you

yer thanks guys. this info is realy helpfull. I have alot of programs that run on start up and it is anoying. Thanks for the help.

When you take all unnecessary programs off of Startup, you should notice a faster load and surf speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back