How to decrypt jpg files

leslegr

After my hard drive crashed. I reloaded XP, but not the one that was originally in my laptop as I bought it from my former company and it didn't come with original disks. So after trying to copy my pictures saved on a stand alone hard drive onto new XP picture file I found that about a third of them were encrypted and I 14can't open them up.Is there any way I can decrypt these files or are they irretrievable?

To the best of my knowledge, you're out of luck :(

p.s To move encrypted files between disks one must backup then restore the encryption keys onto the new disk before you can decrypt the moved files. Simply moving a file between disks leaves you of luck :(

/* edit */
p.p.s To anyone reading: Simply creating a disk image isn't sufficient either. One MUST use the encryption tool itself to backup and restore the encryption keys to move encrypted files between disks. So backup and save your keys (on a physically separate disk) with your encryption tool BEFORE you have a disk crash

What LookinAround said.

Unless you have access to the software used to create these encrypted files, you won't be able to get to them. I don't know how your laptop is setup, it might even be a combo of software & network connection to your former company's server.

That's the problem right? The software used is gone after you reinstalled Windows? If it's something off the shelf, consumer grade, then it might not be too expensive, and you can try your luck.

Decrypt JPG Files

I do have backup files for the former OS. Could one of those files contain the decryption tools? Does anyone know what the name of that file would be?

I doubt the OS alone would work. It'll be like a typical Windows program - the program + the files it copy to Windows dir + whatever it writes to the registry. You'll need the program.

Sorry, I don't think you'll be able to recover the pictures.

Decryption

Hey leslegr,
If you can, send me one of those encrypted files. Does not make a difference which one. Any one will do. I've been working on an algorithm that I developed for a project I'm working on for a client with a similar issue. Interested to see how it would react to your issue (no charge). Go to my profile biography section for my info to send it. It's worth a shot. Send me a private message and I can explain what I do. If I can get the key or tweak my algorithm correctly, It may work or not.
Thanks
NVJO

Decryption

I wish I could send you a copy of the encrypted files, NevadaJO. Unfortunately, I cannot move or copy any of the files. When they are encrypted they cannot be moved. The encrypted files residel on my stand alone hard drive. If you know of a way I can copy them, let me know. Only way you can access the files is if you can remotely view them. FYI: I had Microsoft tech support do that and they couldn't open the files. But if you think you can do it let me know and I'll allow you to work on the files remotely.

Try booting the computer w/ some sort of Linux live CD, then use it's file manager to copy the file to a flash drive.

If the folder was encrypted by Windows, then you're dead.
Windows uses the user login of the user+the password as a PORTION of the encryption key. Users can get into real trouble by changing their password without first decrypting the folder(s). Changing the password back to the original doesn't work either, so once you're in this condition, you're done.

The only prayer is to have created a RSA (Recovery System Agent) and 99% of us home users never heard of nor know how.

Sadly, all of us here at Techspot just hate it when someone like you loses data, but we have yet to find the software tool that would let us walk on the water and we don't have long enough arms to lay hands upon you to cure you - - sigh :(

Decryption

I think Jobeard's right.

Rabbit01, I'm not a techie. I know Linux is an operating system; but I don't
know what a "Linux live CD" is.

The funny thing is I never encrypted any of those jpg files. I don't know why
or what caused them to encrypt. Can only assume the OS become corrupt.

Rabbit01, I'm not a techie. I know Linux is an operating system; but I don't know what a "Linux live CD" is.
this is a CD that boots w/o an install to the HD. Knoppix is an example.
very useful tool to access a HD w/o modifying it :)

Hello There, after two years I have the same exactly damn problem of leslegr.
I have copied my pics into my hdd... now the pc is gone and all the pics are encrypted.
Any way after two years to recover one of my most precious beloggings?
Thanks a lot for help.

Back