How to do a repair install with unattended XP disk?

Sistrunk

So... I had some issues where windows was not displaying my processors in device manager, so I decided to try a repair install. I have multiple copies of Xp and tried a repair install with one of those disks. It proceeded with the install but then asked for the key.Unfortunately, I chose the wrong disk from the original install and did not have the key for that particular disk. I did finally find the correct disk with the proper key but it is a slipstreamed unattended version. I tried to insert that disk on setup but it says key invalid( but am positive I have the correct key for). So.... thinking the issue was it had been originally "repaired" with the wrong disk, I tried to do a repair with the correct one. The problem now is that it seems to be in the middle of a fresh install. Which I do NOT want to do. Also am not sure where the Original Xp disk is. Right now the install is asking for the correct date. I have stopped there and was hoping to get some advice from you guys on how to complete this repair install. Or have I already gone too far?

Hi Sistrunk,

[FONT=Museo Sans For Dell]A Repair Install is best used only if you are having system issues but they are confined to the Operating System files. Instead of formatting and re-installing everything again, the repair install will attempt to check and fix any disk errors and re-install the Operating System files over the top of the corrupt ones.This means you shouldn't have to re-install your other programs and you should keep your settings.[/FONT]

[FONT=Museo Sans For Dell]It is advised that you back up all important data on your computer prior to the repair install, to avoid data loss. [/FONT][FONT=Museo Sans For Dell][FONT=Museo Sans For Dell]Before you perform a repair installation of Windows XP, you must un-install any newer version of Internet Explorer than Version 6. Not doing this will result in Internet Explorer no longer working after the repair installation of Windows XP is completed.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Museo Sans For Dell][FONT=Museo Sans For Dell]Click on the Microsoft link below for steps to repair your Windows XP installation using the Windows XP CD. Under More Information>Troubleshooting>Method 2 you will find the steps for Repair Install of Windows XP by booting your computer from the Windows XP CD.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Museo Sans For Dell][FONT=Museo Sans For Dell]Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to repair Windows XP. After you repair Windows XP, you may have to re-activate your copy of Windows XP. [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Museo Sans For Dell]http://dell.to/1bCsFj5[/FONT]

[FONT=Museo Sans For Dell]Though you have not mentioned your computer model name, this Dell article with screenshots of how to do a repair installation of Windows XP may prove helpful:[/FONT]

[FONT=Museo Sans For Dell]http://dell.to/19UoIc7[/FONT]

[FONT=Museo Sans For Dell]Please reply if you have further queries.[/FONT]

[FONT=Museo Sans For Dell]Thanks & regards,
Babita G
#iworkforDell
[/FONT]
[FONT=Museo Sans For Dell] [/FONT]

Back