How to find a failed hard drive in a raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on your RAID controller. Your RAID configuration window should tell you which drives have failed - and your ports should be identifiable based on that information. Be careful because it's easy to get them backwards if the ports are not actually labeled and you're only given a diagram.

I'm running server 2003 sp2 and it seems like the only way to get to the raid configuration is from the post there's noway to check any configurations from windows.When I do check the configuration it tells me that ther are no conflicts with no option to go any further from there.The way I got the drives identified was that when the raid fails I use this program called driveswap32 to unmount the raid I also use driveswap 32 to mount the raid.When I mount the raid I put the drives in on at a time and when windows recognizes the drive it pops up in disk management with the # from the order it was put in.By the way I have ten harddrives.Now when I open up driveswap32 just to check on the drives only 8 is showing up.And driveswap32 labeled the drives with a,b,c....so I don't know if it list the drive in the same order as I did just that 2 is missing but the drive did not fail.When I access certain folders in the raid the raid fails immedialy.But other folder's will cause the raid to fail only after excessive access.

Ouch - 2 dead drives on a RAID 5 with only 1 parity drive is bad news. It sounds like you might be using software based RAID5 and I'll really be no help there. I've never had to troubleshoot software RAID5 before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back