How to force CHKDSK fix index on NTFS drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trodas

At first I made the mistake using Partition Magic v8.00 to setup a drive (2G FAT32 for OS, 184G NTFS for data). PM v8.00 is faulty and screw up the drive, mainly the NTFS partition. Usually the results are not as dramatic as I experience (mostly only windows is slow in powering off), however on VIA chipset, as this old machine use, it is hell. New files are corrupted and gone missing after reboot, etc. Bad.
(results of using PM 8.00 on VIA chipsets from Symatec page are not exaggerated at all)
In PM v8.02 or v8.05 it should be fixed, however even the v8.02 is not going to allow me to fix ANY error. It finding twice
Error 1611 bad system file name
...and about hundred times...
Error 1527 bad update sequence number
...and button FIX is still grayed out.

So I tried a workaround - used the recommended Acronis Partition Expert v8 and I downsized the D drive a bit and then get it back to former status and quess what - most of the errors and problems are gone now! No more bit table troubles with MFT, but the new file corruption and files gone missing behaviour sadly continue...

So the first thing one do is to run chkdsk, right? So I run it with parameters /x /f and it always says "Fixing error in index $I30 file 5. Checking of index finished." - that it should be translated to english... However when I run it imediatelly again, it report the very same thing!
So the error is NOT fixed.

So I get the idea that I just find the file no. 5 using MFT table and kill it. Using DiskEdit utility (from Win2k SP4 CD by M$ itself, grab it there: http://rapidshare.com/files/189278835/DiskEdit.zip ) I opened the NTFS D drive and - sadly instead of the path and file I saw only couple of empty boxes... I can check other files fine, so, what now? It is a system file or hidden something then...?

I tried threat that as it is a deleted file fragment or something like that. I tried the Recuva utility from Sysinternals, because it can safely erase the deleted files, based on the MFT infos... If you did not know, well, then MFT store and keep information about every files you ever had on your HDD, so... (MFT on my drive have 57MB currently) Recuva found like 16k of deleted files, so I check them all and say - delete them right away!
But things went wrong, as some of the files are "resident" in the MFT table, so, they are not deleted. Also Recuva cannot delete the infos MFT keep about files long time gone from HDD. So I tried the recovering utility Restoration v3.2.13, because it know not only erase files, but also erase the infos about them in MFT! Then in Recuva you see only 16k of empty lost file infos, hehe.
But that did not help me either.
Then I tried Winhex v15.1, witch offer fantastic things, and among others - erasing the unnecessary MFT infos. However it again only erase the missing files infos, not remove them from MFT - it probably did not know how to rebuild the MFT then... So, no improve in the chkdsk error and HDD behaviour done...

Hence - anyone have any ideas how to fix this index problem? Chkdsk /x /d /r D: run way too long and at the end, no change at all.

Also I tried chkdsk from the Windows repair console, however no difference. It says that he find something, but then again - it did not fix it. And only report that find and fixed errors the first time I run it. Each next run it make there pauses (hence 3 errors, I presume) but not report them anymore!
Much less to fix them...

So when I get back in win, it way agaion like that:

Program CHKDSK ověřuje soubory (fáze 1 z 3)...
Ověření souboru dokončeno.
Program CHKDSK ověřuje rejstříky (fáze 2 z 3)...
Probíhá oprava chyby v rejstříku $I30 souboru 5.
Ověření rejstříku dokončeno.
Program CHKDSK ověřuje popisovače zabezpečení (fáze 3 z 3)...
Ověření popisovače zabezpečení bylo dokončeno.

193253884 kB místa na disku celkem.
190638064 kB v 37513 souborech uživatele.
14644 kB v 1583 rejstřících.
0 kB v chybných sektorech.
78740 kB používá systém.
16384 kB zabírá soubor s protokolem.
2522436 kB na disku je volných.

4096 bajtů v každé alokační jednotce
48313471 alokačních jednotek na disku celkem.
630609 volných alokačních jednotek

So, anyone get any idea about chkdsk replacement that works? Or thanks to PM, I have to backup my entire drive on DVDs and format it and then copy all the data back or what?!

It is VERY annoying to lose data in new files and I of course run diagnostic tests on the drive and then SpinRite v6 and the drive is perfectly okay. A not so old 200G Seagate PATA one :)

PartitionMagic8errors.jpg

PM reporting WAY less errors after the trick I made with Acronis Partition Expert, but still... they are there. Help?

Are you booting and running Widows OK on the Fat32 partition?

Why would you want a Fat32 Partition for the OS?

If Win2k is stable then I suggest that you convert c: to NTFS.

Before converting do chkdsk on c:

Start-Run
type
chkdsk c:/r
Hit enter and click OK!
It will want exclusive access so approve to do it on next reboot and reboot!

Convert by doing the following.
Start-Run
type
convert c: /fs:ntfs
Hit enter and click OK!

You are using the wrong chkdsk parameters do the below

After finish above and reboot then for the chkdsk on d:....

Start-Run
type
chkdsk d: /r
Hit enter and click OK!

If It wants to do it on the next restart so restart and let it process the drive.

Mike

Windows run just fine :) Even the older data on D drive are fine, just new one having troubles :)
C to NTFS? No way. I already having enought problems with NTFS...
What that is supposed to fix anyway? C did not affect D partition and D is screwed up by PM v8.00... Now partly better, but still...

what does the check disk result say after stage 3 of 3. i see you posted it but can you please translate it to english. plus you should be using ntfs for your file system

NTFS is slower and not good choice for small partitions and OS partitions in general. Not to mention the many problems that come with the cursed NTFS.

So your recommendation is sadly not good.

After stage 3 it just says that it is finished and that it is. Standard message.

Okey dokey!

Sadly you are so mistaken except for Winme down, which do not support ntfs!

NTFS better in every way!

Mike

Not only faster, but much more Robust and stable. More efficient use of disk space. More fault tolerant.

But without NTFS all built in File Security is not available in NT Class Operating systems (2K thru Vista).

Mike

Guys, let's not hijack the thread to "FAT32 versus NTFS" battle.

The whole point of this thread is, that it shows, that NTFS volumes can get unrepairable, hence NTFS suxx. Prove me wrong, tell me, how to fix this bloody error and then we can discuss FAT32 versus NTFS.

From my point of view, FAT32 partition works perfectly, NTFS do not. How to fix NTFX partition?

BTW, I just found out that Acronis Recovery Expert use chkdsk to check and "repair" volumes... so it does not help at all :mad:

10-4 Kim thanks, that is exactly what I told him in my first post!

Code:
You are using the wrong chkdsk parameters do the below

After finish above and reboot then for the chkdsk on d:....

Start-Run
type
chkdsk d: /r
Hit enter and click OK!

If It wants to do it on the next restart so restart and let it process
the drive.

Mike

Oh just read your last reply

I know you said that correctly :grinthumb
I was trying to spell it out (basically)
I think the member was confused about chkdsk (and possibly with chkntfs) not being able to be used with Fat32 :confused: (Who knows)

But Check Disk is used by Fat32 and NTFS (it replaced the old obsolete Fat32 Scandisk)

Just spelling it out ;)

You solved it :)

kimsland - well, I come there because the chkdsk /f does NOT fix the problem, obviously... ;)

I get feed up with constantly losing files and stuff, so I did managed to back up the data, reformat, and no chkdsk error ever since.

But it is really sad that NTFS can show errors chkdsk cannot repair. Not any other tool... Makes me wonder if a better filesystem should not be used.

I also very much dislike the MFT table, the saving small files directly into the MFT, fragmenting it, storing names of files FOREVER in MFT... things like that make me puke from NTFS. Time to check if Winblows can't work with other more advanced filesystem.

NTFS FileSystem (especially 64Bit on Vista OS) has served everyone extremely well
Far better than Fat32 (or earlier Fat FileSystems)

The fault you were having could have easily been caused by a Faulty HardDrive, which should be tested to fully confirm
Or even faulty Ram, that should be tested in full
Not by NTFS poorly written itself

The drive WAS tested numerous times, and always find 100% fine. Just NTFS screwed up, likely by PM 8 ... What is wrong with NTFS is, that it cannot be repaired, unless formated.

I won't call that a filesystem at all, not to mention other issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back