How to make a folder shared between two connected computers

abbasi

Hi guys,

I have two computers nearby that are connected to each other. Each one is accessible through ping command using the other's IP address. Now I want to create a folder inside one to be accessible from another one. What are the steps please?

On Windows 7 (I'd imagine it's very similar in Win10)

- Right click on the folder you want to share and select properties
- On the"Sharing" tab, click "Share" and you can add just yourself or everyone
- If Everyone is added, you can set the permission level to read only or read/write

To access shared folder from computer B, open file manager and type \\ComputerA\
Replace ComputerA with whatever name you've given it or use ip address, you might need to enter password.

You should see the shared folder. To make it simple the next time, right click on the shared folder (still in the file manager of computer B) and select Map Network Drive. Give it a drive letter, for example X:

In the future, you can just click on X: drive to access your shared folder and it's contents.

It did not work.
Hint: Both computers are connected to a ADSL modem accessing Internet. They are not directly connected (say, via an Ethernet cable). But since they are connected to that modem, each one can be accessible by Ping command.

I assumed they aren't directly connected, but they are on the same network.

For example:
Computer A has 192.168.1.20
Computer A has 192.168.1.25

Are yours on the same or different network?

I assumed they aren't directly connected, but they are on the same network.

For example:
Computer A has 192.168.1.20
Computer A has 192.168.1.25

Are yours on the same or different network?

Yes they are on the same network:
A: 192.168.1.X
B: 192.168.1.Y

It did not work.
Hint: Both computers are connected to a ADSL modem accessing Internet. They are not directly connected (say, via an Ethernet cable). But since they are connected to that modem, each one can be accessible by Ping command.

What didn't work? Failed to make folder sharable? Failed to connect?

Lookup sharing requirements. The User/PWD used to create the share must be known by all users attempting to access it.

One test is
computer->map drive
pick a drive letter and click Browse
it will show Network->System name with the shared folder
If the system name is not visable, sharing is not correct

click on the system and you get the shared folders,if not the folder sharing is incorrect

click on the folder and OK; then FINISH

if you've go the user/passwrd correct, it mounts a the selected drive letter

On Windows 7 (I'd imagine it's very similar in Win10)

- Right click on the folder you want to share and select properties
- On the"Sharing" tab, click "Share" and you can add just yourself or everyone
- If Everyone is added, you can set the permission level to read only or read/write

To access shared folder from computer B, open file manager and type \\ComputerA\
Replace ComputerA with whatever name you've given it or use ip address, you might need to enter password.

You should see the shared folder. To make it simple the next time, right click on the shared folder (still in the file manager of computer B) and select Map Network Drive. Give it a drive letter, for example X:

In the future, you can just click on X: drive to access your shared folder and it's contents.

Thank you very much. It worked. :)

I mapped that folder and It was working good.
I turned off the computer and when the next day I turned it on, it had been disconnected. I tried to make it connected again but couldn't. :(

The username of my computer (computer A) in C:\Users is "abcd". And its name is "efgh" and is a member of Workgroup.
I make a folder shared on it and then on the computer B (which its name is "xyz"), in address bar I type \\EFGH\.
It brings up a window saying "Enter Network Password". So I type the password of computer A and check the "Remember my credentials" checkbox. But it says: Enter you password to connect to "EFGH" at the top. and:Login Failure: unknown username or bad password. in below.
Whatever I type the password of the computer A correctly, the connection will not be established, this time.
What is the problem please? And how to make it connected for the next times once again?

In the mapping, there's a choice to "reconnect at logon" - - make sure you use it, othewise every sleep or hibernate will disconnect and when awakened, the connection is brokern.

When mapping on B, the password needed is that of the user who created the share on A

Back