How to make simple RPG?

Keontae

Games I played were always RPG or some combination of other genre (like strategy) + rpg. It's definitely my favorite genre along with multiplayer games.
Whenever I play games I just can't stop thinking about it - but I would like to make my own game... But I'm not sure how to start. I've searched some information online and so far I've learned programming (on very beginner level but still) in C++.
However all I can do as of now is just simple windows terminal windows rpgs... That's definitely not what I want lol. Honestly I'm not really picking but I just want my game to have any kind of graphics and not be terminal thing.
If you have any experience in making games, have I learned the proper language for that? And what should I do now to make a more visual video game? Thanks a lot

You're probably off learning and practising the mechanics of fundamental game design, before tackling the coding of an entire game engine. This could be done using a 'game maker' app (e.g RPG Maker) or going through many of the tutorials and blog on Gamasutra.com

Sadly, it's not - good complete game makers aren't free, but you could try Construct 2:

There is a free version of it, that the game design department uses at my college. It's quick and easy to learn, and even though it requires some coding knowledge to use it, you can spend more time on design elements rather than the actual code.

Back