How to rate video cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckoning

For example nvidia 7500gt
I was told "7" refers to the series
the "5" refers to the speed

If true, would a 7500gt probably run your game better than your 8100gt?
I'm assuming speed is more important than a slight newer series

Well

Whoever told you that about the 7 of 7500gt means the series, whoever told you that the 500 of the 7500 means the speed is also correct as Nvidia does have a way of encoding its product lines with a higherarchy scheme.

In the past Nvidia has always labled its cards in said series x100-x800 and an occational x900 card. But that has changed with their new 200 series cards.

Lets take for instance the Geforce 7 series. which had a product line through 7200-7900 (7900 being the fastest of the lot).

Now each card offered by Nvidia card a suffix of GS GT GTS GTX and Ultra and that suffix usually gives the buyer a idea of where it stands performance wise without even looking at the specs. GS Fast - GT Faster - GTS Fastest - GTX Ultimate Fast - Ultra we are waiting to release the next gen cards but until then decided to just overclock the GTX and call it a new card.

Without doing research, it is hard to say if a 7500GT is faster than a low end Gefore 8 series card.

A video card with more memory isn't always better. A 512MB X1650PRO is far worse off than a 256MB 8800GT.

Look for the number of shader processors, memory interface, GPU clocks and the type of memory used. All these help decide whether or not one card is faster than another.

A video card with more memory isn't always better. A 512MB X1650PRO is far worse off than a 256MB 8800GT.

Look for the number of shader processors, memory interface, GPU clocks and the type of memory used. All these help decide whether or not one card is faster than another.

I agree with that

Heres my Stats

How do they compare ?
What my eyes see is a big factor.
I'm happy with my video upgrade.:cool:

Attachments

• Video Stats.jpg
    Video Stats.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 7
For a good comparison with that screenshot, consider this one. It's a faster card, but from the same generation of cards as the X1650PRO.

As you can see, it has lesser memory, but a larger memory bus, faster memory and more shader processors make it faster, even though the GPU and memory clocks on the NVIDIA card are lower.

Try Tom's Hardware's VGA charts. They'll give you an excellent idea of how NVIDIA and ATI's respective solutions perform.

I think these statements are only partially correct.
In the past Nvidia has always labled its cards in said series x100-x800 and an occational x900 card. But that has changed with their new 200 series cards.

Lets take for instance the Geforce 7 series. which had a product line through 7200-7900 (7900 being the fastest of the lot).

Without doing research, it is hard to say if a 7500GT is faster than a low end Gefore 8 series card.
As far as I know nvidia never did that, ATi did. Nvidia had stuff like GF2, GF2MX, GF2MX200/400 (and others), GF3 (several versions), GF4 (several versions), then they went to the thousands in what would be the GF5, doing FX5xxx, then they dropped the FX for the 6000 series and above - that continues until the new stuff like the 280.

There was a 7950 :)

Agreed, I don't really know if a 7500GT is faster than like an 8300. But something like a 7900 is definately faster than a 6600, and thats the same hundreds number change.

The gain in the series number is usually a big jump in capabilities. But you can have more capabilities and still be slower at games.

True, I should have taken into perspective that nvidia hasnt "always" been on a strait series number like the 8xxx series cards however I was trying to reflect recent history as many people arnt even aware of the cards that where around over 5 years ago, figured the 5xxx cards where a good starting point for this subject.

Also I realize now that I should refer to any nvidia series as 5xxx or 7xxx as giving examples of nvidia series cards such as x800 or x600 when i really ment to example a 7800 or 7600 nvidia card could comfuse people with ati's X series of cards from a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back