How To Remove Bios Password?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an HP AMD 64 which was running XP Media Edition and am having problems installing a clean, new HD and even getting it to read the HD I pulled out.

Some months ago I installed a password for bios and would like to know if and how I can remove it and get a look at the settings.

The best I can get the new install to do on the new drive is get part way in the formatting and then shut down. Most times I cannot even get that far.

Is there a way for me to remove the bios password I put in and no longer want on my machine?

Try taking out the CMOS battery located on the motherboard, and leaving it out for a day. Could you give more info on your computers specs?

You will not have luck removing the battery to remove the password... you need the password you installed to remove it... or send it back to HP... or prove to HP tech support you are the only owner.
This site, by policy, does not help with password removals.

My Computer

Is an HP 8300 series laptop.

While I have removed the battery from a mother board before, it was on a 386 box and so far I haven't gotten any further into my laptop other than replacing HD's which are in a separate compartment.

The HD was working fine until I pulled it to replace it with a new HD. I have done this before on this machine and never encountered problems installing the OS on a new drive.

I will look for schematic some place if I can find one. Their tech support is anything but, (in India) and no way will I send it to one of their service centers again.

If anyone has any clues to locating the battery on this one, I would appreciate the info.

My computer is jacked up by being caught in a botnet, the main reason for wanting to replace the HD. I just hope there was nothing done to screw me up from installing a new HD. One of the cute little features of the botnet was to make my DOS 'read only.'

I have the password since I was the one who installed it. I just want to wipe it out, remove it, leave the system without a bios password. Does that make a difference? How can I get to the point where I can remove the password? Is removing the battery the only way or, since I have the password, another method that does not involve removing the battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back