How to safely overclock an AMD Athlon II X2 240 processor

Amd makes a really nifty, comprehensive piece of performance software called AOD. It can be had here:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/amd-overdrive/Pages/overview.aspx
Most x2 2xx models will OC to between 3.5-3.8Ghz depending on the motherboard you are using. You should list the rest of your components so we know what we are dealing with, including the PSU you are using. assuming you have quality components, you have the advantage of many others OC'ing this model before you. using AOD is nice as you can shorten the time to OC before making the final stable settings semi permanent in the bios if you choose, or setup an OC profile in AOD to use only during intense operations or gaming if you like. If you want, you can jump right to a setting of 3.4Ghz by raising the HT ref to 242 and the V-core to 1.475 and running the built in stability test for 15 minutes. from there raise the HT ref by 5-10 Mhz and run the stability test until it breaks. You can then raise the Vcore in intervals of .025-.05 until stable. Remember your CPU has a locked multiplier so you will be OC'ing the whole system when you raise the HT ref clock (memory,Northbridge, etc) you may want to drop the HT/NB/CPU multiplier back while you find the maximum OC to eliminate it as a possible limiting factor. a couple things to keep in mind...

1) watch temperatures. Its a REALLY good idea to have after-market cooling (heatsink/Fan) while OC'ing
2) make sure you have adequate PSU, both in capacity and quality.
3) the maximum Vcore for this generation of CPU's is 1.55v, better yet, stay at or under 1.5v -1.525v
4) with very good cooling (and if you want to push up over 1.5 V) you may get over 4.0Ghz.

Here is TechPowerup's Oc of an x2 240, you can get an idea of the settings they used to get 3.8Ghz OC (typical OC for this CPU if you have decent MB,PSU etc)

Here is a look at the control screen of the AOD
34903.png

I think my PSU is about 400 Watt or 500 Watt, didn't check yet.

Umm... all my specs are in the link, including CPU cores. I am just wondering, what would be a safe OC? I am afraid of my PC exploding, so any help?

I start it and this comes up
capturepi.jpg

Thats a standard required admonition that comes up any time you start the AOD program. They need to do that to cover their ******. As long as you keep the temperatures and voltages within reasonable parameters, you will be fine. If you are really concerned, just keep the OC to around 3.6Ghz and call it good.

See if this helps explain things. Its a bit I wrote a while back. See the OC section....and for that matter the Power supply section.
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic133075.html

Okay I had a look at it. Nice guide ;-)

Anyway, I have only 2 cores, CPU 0 and CPU 1. I can't seem to get to the section you have shown on the picture. Any help?

you have to go to the 'preference tab' the program defaults to 'Novice mode' you need to click on advanced mode or view to open up the screens like the Screen cap I posted.

here, I think you should read through the complete guide for AOD, It will explain the different modes and ways to go about using it....again, your PSU is very important both in capacity and quality. DO NOT OC with a sub standard quality PSU or stock cooling for your CPU.
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/amd-overdrive/Pages/overview.aspx

**** see above**
Next thing you do is learn more about your power supply. If it is of poor quality, you don't OC anything until you replace it with a decent quality power supply ( see post #2) if you push a substandard PSU and it goes out, it will take your CPU, MB, etc with it.

I am going to find out my PSU. So the wattage and the name is important? And which name is important?

why don't you put up a pic of the sticker of the label you will find on the side of the power supply.
(usually the side of the unit, may be on top occasionally)

Oh okay. I will make a pic of it.

What if it is 400 watt or less. Could I overclock. Oh and yes, would ASUS EAHD 6850 Direct CU work on 400 watt?

What if it is 400 watt or less. Could I overclock. Oh and yes, would ASUS EAHD 6850 Direct CU work on 400 watt?

No and no. the 6850 should have a 500w PSU (34A PSU or better)
if you PSU is only 400w and I am guessing not so good quality , you are going to need a better PSU. Is this an OEM machine?

My dad's friend build it up together.

My parents don't want me digging inside my PC, maybe during the weekend. Is there any software that identifies your PSU?

My dad's friend build it up together.

My parents don't want me digging inside my PC, maybe during the weekend. Is there any software that identifies your PSU?

Nope, really need to have a look at the label, or the box it came in. don't need to "dig" if you remove the side panel it will be right there.

It will look something like this
label.JPG

My parents aren't...em...that good at understanding PCs. Maybe tomorrow, hopefully you will still be here :)

So what if my PSU is 500w? Overclocking would be a good idea and ATI Radeon HD 6850?

If my PSU is 400w then what card could I run, that is better than hd 4770?

EDIT: My PSU is 400w. I think I have an integrated graphics card ATI Radeon HD 4200. Does that mean that I can't connect new cards?

Here is a picture of the PSU

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The upshot of this is, you need a new PSU if you want to run a 6850 ( yes you can put in an aftermarket card as long as you have a PCIE x 16 interface) but 400w isn't going to cut it for the card , or OC'ing. (unless you want to wreck your machine. I cant make out much from the pic, but it has the look of a $19.99 jobbie. I think I see 23A on the 12v rail, and that is probably very optimistic.

I think the GTS 450 will work, or any card that does not need an additional 6/8 power connector...I doubt you have one on that PSU anyway. Stick with cards that will run off of the 75w afforded by the PCIE slot. I also would not do any OC'ing of the VGA or the CPU until you get a better quality PSU in there of 500w/45A or better.

Hello I sow here you said you can OC the Amd Athlon II X2 2400... MY system is. Motherboard: Gygabite: GA-M57SLI-S4
Video card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 gts 320MB-320 bits
Got 4gb DDR 2.
Procesor AMD Athlon II X2 240
Power source I puted a picture.
So with this system can I OC the Procesor with that Driver or program you said on top ??
Thx

Attachments

• IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    833.1 KB · Views: 1
Back