How To Transfer Saved Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritwik7

Hi everyone.

I'm getting a new mobo and so am reinstalling Windows XP. I would like to be able to keep my saved games for Far Cry, FEAR, COD 4, etc. I will be installing these games afresh.

Will just copying the "Profile" folder under each game to an external drive now and copying them back to the new XP install help me to retain all my settings and saved games?

Thanks.

I don't know for sure because I don't have the PC version's of any of these games. However, in normal situations, copying the contents of your profile (usually in a 'My profile' etc folder) to the new computer and then pointing the fresh install of the game to that folder will have everything saved.

Just make sure you copy EVERYTHING that the game needs to read your profile (sometimes it may not be all in that folder).

I suppose the safe thing to do (if you have the extra space on a different drive/cd) would be to save all of the files pertaining to each game and then overwriting them on the new install. Just back everything up so you can try a few different methods if one does not work.

Most games save the settings under My Documents, but if I remember correctly, F.E.A.R. is an exception, its saves go to public documents somewhere (All Users\Documents\ etc).

The commonly used areas for install are:
  • Program Files
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
  • C:\Documents and Settings\%profile%\Start Menu\Programs
where %profile% is your login-id
(On Vista systems that's \Users\%profile\ )

The settings are typically located (depending upon the program):
  • \Documents and Settings\%profile%\Application Data\%provider%\%programName%\
  • \Documents and Settings\%profile%\Local Settings\Application Data\%provider%\%programName%\

and then the nightmare of the registry itself

If you capture the \Docs & Settings\* you will be able to change ownership as required and then copy/move files as required --

the registry is another matter.

I'm not familiar with any of the programs you mention.. but as a general rule i'd advise one always first check to see if a program supports Export/Import functions for settings (as many support you to export then import stuff - sometimes settings). They're typically listed under File menu but not always. I'd also check user documents (even tho, i know, i know, no one likes to look at manuals ;) )

/* EDIT */
Tho my second rule, is being very cautious (i.e. backups!) if simply trying to copying files (let alone makin edits to the registry)

/* EDIT2 */
Though i guess i'd also add.. you might also be best to only focus on files with extensions like .ini and .cfg (that is, files you can actually open with Notepad to read and understand)

Though i guess i'd also add.. you might also be best to only focus on files with extensions like .ini and .cfg (that is, files you can actually open with Notepad to read and understand)
Saved games don't always, actually they rarely come in cfg or ini, those are mostly settings files.

I think he wants his saved games from the campagnes and stuff. Just copying the folder should work, most are in your documents/GAME/PROFILE_NAME or something, just look around and do a search if you want to.
I'm sorry I don't know any specific directories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back