HP Omen Desktop Review: A mid-range pre-built gaming tower

Green PCB DIMM's on a red PCB mobo? Great dress colour coordination sense especially if you're the type who's into the whole colour coding RGB novelty. That's easily forgotten about if the (horrible looking) case didn't include a window. That said, the price looks reasonable considering the choice of components if you have to buy them yourself at retail. In fact it's probably the best way to buy a complete gaming system if you can't buy the case, peripherals and components at cost or have the vaguest notion of being able to throw a PC together yourself.

That's the ugliest case I've seen in quite some time. That front port positioning is an instant no-sale.

For the money, you sure are getting some ugly components. You could build a prettier PC for less..

- Ram
- Mobo
- Cheap *** fans
-CPU Rad is sketchy

Well at least I'm not the only one who was immediately turned off by that value RAM and cheesy looking motherboard from the mid 2000s, it even only has 4 sata ports! But hey, at least you get to look at that horrible choice of component color through the clear side panel???

Now understandably the person buying this PC (or being bought this PC) probably won't notice these things.

Good value there, pity it's hideous. Inside and out. And a case that size should really support larger motherboards.

Who in this day and age really cannot build their own computer and would buy a pre-built one for twice the cost? Even if you can't, chances are you know someone who could.

OEM mobo .oem psu oem memory.oem drives.for the price of some decent retail kit.it might just outlast it's warranty.lol:(

Who in this day and age really cannot build their own computer and would buy a pre-built one for twice the cost? Even if you can't, chances are you know someone who could.
Who, in this day and age?? How about nine out of every ten people you meet in your life (not just your circle of friends). You make it sound like it's as easy and common knowledge as tying one's shoes. Don't assume that because you can do something, everyone should be able to.

The reviewed model here is hardly "twice the price" and is actually a very good value: I just priced out this system on Newegg and it came to a little over $1,600. So throw in the labor cost to assemble it and the shipping costs to distribute it, and it's actually a very good value. And YES, I know that HP doesn't pay Newegg prices for their parts, but consumers do.

That makes no sense. Ink is not a peripheral component for a printer. Why don't you google the definition of peripheral- then you'll get what I'm saying.

Ok, its simple. HP has made a firmware update that prevents you from using aftermarket ink in their printers. There is absolutely no reason they should do that. If a company is that big of a **** then they could easily be as big of a **** with this and prevent you from using monitors, keyboards, and other "peripheral components". It was a jab at the stupid act of blocking ink in their printers.

Who, in this day and age?? How about nine out of every ten people you meet in your life (not just your circle of friends). You make it sound like it's as easy and common knowledge as tying one's shoes. Don't assume that because you can do something, everyone should be able to.

The reviewed model here is hardly "twice the price" and is actually a very good value: I just priced out this system on Newegg and it came to a little over $1,600. So throw in the labor cost to assemble it and the shipping costs to distribute it, and it's actually a very good value. And YES, I know that HP doesn't pay Newegg prices for their parts, but consumers do.

Nope, he is correct. People may not think they are capable of it, but anyone able to use google and able to read are capable of building their own PC. More than enough resources out there.

Ok, its simple. HP has made a firmware update that prevents you from using aftermarket ink in their printers. There is absolutely no reason they should do that. If a company is that big of a **** then they could easily be as big of a **** with this and prevent you from using monitors, keyboards, and other "peripheral components". It was a jab at the stupid act of blocking ink in their printers.
OK, now you're making more sense. But please don't say "it's simple" when you make a reference to a story that was hardly headline news, and someone doesn't know what you're referring to. I've found this tip especially useful at parties.

That assumes that everyone wants to.

Wants to or not they are still " capable ". Just because they choose not to doesn't mean they cant. I get tired of people who use " lack of skill ", or " I'm too stupid " as an excuse just because they don't want to do something.

OK, now you're making more sense. But please don't say "it's simple" when you make a reference to a story that was hardly headline news, and someone doesn't know what you're referring to. I've found this tip especially useful at parties.

I could have been clearer in my original post. Sorry for the confusion.

Why can't they stop using sh@tty OEM hardware and just use off the shelf gear I bet if the mobo ever went poof it'd cost you $500 to replace it

For something higher-end, I’d look at the Intel Core i7-7700K, 16GB of RAM, 256GB SSD and 2 TB hard drive, along with the GeForce GTX 1080. This sort of configuration would set you back just over $2,000. Here the price premium for the Omen Desktop relative to a self-built system is around $250.

7700K: $315
16GB DDR4: $150
256GB SSD: $90
2TB HDD: $70
GTX 1080: $525

Grand total without a case or PSU is $1150.

I am wondering also in what universe is a $1000 PC with a mechanical hard drive a good value...

Back