HP Pavilion will not boot in safe, safe w/networking, safe command or in normal mode

Evabraun2000

Alright this is a family's laptop that is about 5 or even more years old...has windows xp on it dont know the exact one -.-...alright.

My sister has been using it and says she has never done anything to it...which i dont believe but anyways this computer will not boot up what so ever...everytime you power it on it goes to the screen that says unexpected error software/hardware problem yada yada yada...and then it gives you the options of boot in safe mode, safe mode networking, safe mode command prompt, last known good configuration...and none of those will work...we do have the recovery disks to wipe it but are trying to find a better way if possible...and when you try to load into any of the safe mode choices it stops at multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys...will stay at that for about 5-10 mins and then just turn off...if you try to just do normal mode or last known configuration it just acts like it loads with the windows and the little green loading bar then shuts off...the more i type the more i think the harddrive is toast but im new and learning so i probably could be wrong. Just looking for suggestions =)

Oh and this pc will run very hot...so if its a hardware issue i would not be surprised.

What is the make and model of this laprtop? Please give us your system specs. This sounds like a harddrive issue.

Processor: AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile TL-50 1.6 GHZ
Hard Drive: 100GB 5400 RPM SATA
Memory: 1024MB (2048MB max) DDR2 533 MHz SDRAM | Memory Slots available for Upgrade: 0 | Maximum RAM per available slot: 512MB
Optical Drives: 8X DVD+/-R/RW w/Double Layer Support
Cache: 512MB integrated on-die level 2

Are the vents blocked with dust? Do you have a laptop cooling pad to keep the system cooler. If not get one because heat will shut a system down fast.

hmmmm no real evience of tons of dust but ill pick up a can of air and see if that helps...as for a cooling pad blah i dont want to spen money right now lol

Are there any Blue Screens and does the laptop give you enough time to write down the error message?

Also, don't be suprised if it is your motherboard. Your system seems to be the right age for it to belong to HP's recall of DV2000/DV6000/and DV9000 series of laptops. There were many, many motherboard failures due to heat issues with the design/chipsets. I speak from personal experience.

yea i know all about that recall...dealt with many customers over that one

But no it wont load up at all...like it will act like its loading up then just shut down...it does get very hot very fast and im glad you said that cause thats what looks like the problem...but the reason i think it is the hdd is that when you try to load into safe mode when its not hot it gets stuck on that one registry file everytime no matter what...either that or the registry is currupt and their is also a hardware issue at the same time which im screwed lol =(

HP is quite well known for using Toshiba harddrives and their track record is poor. I'd do a harddrive diagnostics. If it is a Toshiba or Hitachi you can use Seagate's Seatools HD diagnostic utility.

Where can I get this Harddrive Utility from?

I just googled it. When I get home I'll try it out and see what I get.

Oh well one other thing...how will I be able to run this diagnostics when I cant boot up at all. Hook my HD to another pc and run it there?

The utility can be found on Seagate's website. It is free and safe. It is called SeaTools. Burn the utility to a CD, place your CD in the CD drive and boot-up.

SeaTools will take over almost immediately so you don't have to worry about Windows loading.

Run SMART, the short DST, and especially thelong DST.

If that doesn't work slave your harddrive in another system and access it that way.

Back