HP quietly launches $380 15.6-inch Compaq notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

HP has quietly launched a new full size entry-level notebook with a price that compares to most netbooks. For $380, the 15.6-inch Compaq Presario CQ62Z packs an LED-backlit 1366x768 display, AMD's new 2.2GHz V120 processor, ATI Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics, 2GB of DDR3 RAM, a 250GB 5400RPM hard drive, a DVD burner, 802.11n wireless, a six-cell battery, and Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

If that's a bit mild for your taste, you can swap out the V120 for a 2.3GHz Athlon II, a 2.3GHz Turion II, a 2.8GHz Phenom II dual-core, or a 2.1GHz Phenom II triple-core chip for an extra $30 to $185. Additionally, you can opt for a $100 512MB Radeon HD545v discrete graphics chip, up to 4GB of RAM, 320GB to 500GB of storage, and a $150 Blu-ray reader.

Naturally, there's a few USB ports, while HDMI 3.1 output, a 5-in-1 card reader, and a webcam are optional features. Systems ordered today have an estimated build date of June 16.

Permalink to story.

This is why I'd never buy a tablet, unless I had money to waste. (Looking at Apple)
This is so cheap but has great oppurnity for upgrading and also has insane features for $380 bucks, LED backlit, wireless N, a decent GPU, dual core that isn't below 2.0 GHz, not to mention DDR3 RAM for all this price. Even 64 bit OS to top it off.

Looks amazing spec wise and price wise!

Very interesting matthew. Thanks for the story.

I'd like to know three things from HP:

1. The heat output of the newer AMD mobile chips and their system boards.

2. What has HP done to deal with the heat issue(s)?

3. What is the quality of said parts because on the surface this is a nice offering with several upgrades to make it fit at a great price -- which makes me suspicious. Yes, the AMD chips are going to be cheaper than the Intel offerings ehich keeps the pricing lower but I keep coming back to the system boards.

The reason being is because HP's DV6000 series with AMD cpus for the past few years have had epic FAIL. I personally know of a lot of people who got "burned" (no pun intended) with system board fails and it was due to the heat involved.

Plus, my daughter's college three year old laptop is a DV6000 Compaq series and her wireless has ceased functioning and talking to Techs and HP it is highly probable it is a system's board failure (another wireless card failed to rectify the issue). In fact, I've been told that the wireless failing is one of the first signs of possible system board total failure. Gah! One more year, just one more year...

This is by no means to bash AMD or HP. I'd love to see a good solid and reliable AMD series of laptops. I'm just gun shy at the moment.

Update: I followed the link Matthew gave and tweaked the customization offerings. I got to admit if you are going to upgrade the components for around $650-750 you can have a decently powerful laptop without breaking the bank.

The reason being is because HP's DV6000 series with AMD cpus
I would like you to know it wasn't just AMD CPUs -- Intel HP notebooks with Nvidia GPUs also overheated. This was a result of the Nvidia Geforce 8600M GS/GTS graphics chipsets being used.

This laptop has a Radeon HD 4250 which I'm sure generates far less heat. It really shouldn't be a problem for this specific laptop and judging by HP's successors to the DV6000/DV9000s, they've learned from their mistakes in regards to cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back