HP to launch "Let's Do Amazing" ad campaign this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

HP is preparing to launch an eight-week long, $40 million advertising blitz. Billed as "Let's Do Amazing," the ad campaign is HP's first in some five years, and the company has signed on some celebrity talent. Rapper Dr. Dre, comedian Rhys Darby, and photographer Annie Leibovitz are among those involved. Ads will rollout this weekend on TV, radio, print, and of course, the Internet.

HP hopes the advertisements will help makeover its image, which is often associated with business, despite the company's "Personal Again" ad campaign. "Most people think we are just a printer company," said Michael Mendenhall, HP's chief marketing officer. Another HP exec noted that although the company has grown significantly over the last five years, "most customers do not see the breadth and depth" of what it does.

Regardless of its public image, HP is still the top PC maker worldwide -- though, Acer is rapidly gaining ground. You can view some of the ads on 72andSunny's site.

Permalink to story.

No amount of advertising will convince me anytime soon to buy or recommend HP. So far everything I bought from HP has been substandard. From my experience the 'Top Dog' usually gets fat and lazy. I'd rather go for companies who are showing that they are making an effort and not just in advertising.

Well I would add to the name HP. Like CBHP. Computers by HP. HP Home, Something. I am not sure just ad campaigns will help change the felling to home computers.

HP = Horrible Performance

Actually I just bought my mom a new Compaq CQ60 and it's decent, not much HP bloatware either. I'm not sure why HP is spending so much but w/e I'm a fan of Toshiba anyways lol

I gotta agree with TImonius, HP is overpriced and the quality is below average. Quite amazed at how acer is growing, their computers are durable and work well.

The commercial sounds funny, HP makes good PC's. Needs to have more types of styles though, especially gaming computers. (Though real gamers build their own PC's)

Apparently real gamers tend to buy consoles more than pc's with pc's making up only 18% of the gaming market.

They named it "Let's Do Amazing"
It should be Let's Do Amazing Things to slow down Acer before it"s to late and they buy us.

I have an HP laptop that is damn near bullet proof. I have dropped the thing from chest height onto tile floor and nothing happened. I would have no qualms with buying another HP laptop if the time came. Or suggesteing their products to other people.

seefizzle said:
I have an HP laptop that is damn near bullet proof. I have dropped the thing from chest height onto tile floor and nothing happened. I would have no qualms with buying another HP laptop if the time came. Or suggesteing their products to other people.

I still have my old HP lcd monitor running, 7years + dropped many times. 1 stuck blue pixel, pushed on the screen and its gone! very happy with it

The 40 million Ad Campaign is always worth it for the big companies. It isn't for people like us that actually enjoy reading about tech news and keep up to date with everything in the tech world. It's for those who know near nothing about computers, and want a guarantee that it's going to work no matter what the price tag says.

It's hard to take over HP since it established its name ever since. It's not easy to beat hp because of their very known quality of products. Our printer is already 6 years and it still performs well. I don't think there's nothing wrong to remember hp as just a manufacturer of printers. Perhaps it's an advantage! With or without ads yet, hp still grows stronger. But Acer is also doing well. I see acer users everywhere.

I actually own an HP and I've had it for the past 3 years. It's been reliable, it runs real nice still since I've kept it clean. I plan on buying another HP when mine craps out, I hope their campaign goes well! Although they could have named it better as the guy above noted...

Their involvement with celebrities during this ad campaign and past campaigns keeps reminding me of how far they'll go to fool people into buying their products.

HP printers are probably the best around at the mo, yeah i know at the high end of the market they probably are not but generally they are far better than epson or lexmark who have just got worse. HP however make most of their profit from the millitary, which is why they have not connected with the general publicas well as dell or acer.
They would be better off lobbying the gov to continue the wars and start another in Iran, Somalia, Sudan, oops they already are.

I'd much prefer: "let's not cut corners and make laptops with the highest failure rate" As I have experienced first hand, one too many times. Never again HP, no matter how cool your ad is.

pipopaz said:
I gotta agree with TImonius, HP is overpriced and the quality is below average. Quite amazed at how acer is growing, their computers are durable and work well.

Overpriced compared to whom? I haven't been comparing all manufactures, but I have consistently been finding HP to be better priced and higher quality against many of them (particularly Dell).

seefizzle said:

Well i havn't dropped mine yet ;-) But i would certainly recommend my HP laptop to anyone who is interested as well. The only downside on the model i got is that it is hot and battery life isn't great. But i knew that was going to be the case as i went for a higher powered unit as a desktop replacement. The screen is pretty amazing though :)

I will always build my own computer anyways so its not that big of a deal. When it comes to laptops I love ASUS mainly because I can trust that they put the same quality of equipment into their laptop that they manufacture and sell to put things in every desktop I build. I feel that a company that manufactures the products they put in the computer are much more reliable then companies who gather the cheapest parts they can to win in the never ending price war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back