HTC announces One mini with 4.3-inch screen, dual-core processor

Jos

Staff

Although recent leaks had all but confirmed it’s existence, today HTC has officially announced a smaller and less expensive version of its flagship HTC One handset. Known as the One mini, the device makes a few downgrades to achieve the lower price point, but still keeps many of its standout traits such as the ‘zero-gap’ construction and aluminium design of the original as well as the Boom Sound speakers on the front.

Obviously, the main difference at first glance is screen size, reduced from 4.7- to 4.3-inches. This comes with a lower screen resolution (720p instead of 1080p) and pixel density as well but initial impressions say the One mini’s display is just as beautiful and accurate as the one on its larger sibling.

Other compromises include a 1.4 GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor, backed by Adreno 305 graphics, a single gigabyte of RAM and 16GB of non-expandable storage -- down from a quad-core Snapdragon 600, 2GB RAM and either 32GB or 64GB of storage. The battery is naturally a bit smaller at 1,800mAh, and HTC decided to drop NFC, optical image stabilization for the camera, and  the device’s IR blaster.

The One mini supports 4G LTE and HSPA+ cellular networks, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, MHL, Bluetooth 4.0, A-GPS with Glonass support and the usual array of sensors. In terms of software, the phone comes with Android 4.2.2 out of the box and Sense 5 layered on top, complete with features like BlinkFeed.

Pricing and availability details have not yet been announced. However, HTC has said it aims to roll out the One mini around the world starting in August, and the first markets to get it in Europe will be Germany and UK.

Permalink to story.

Wow, First Android phone I'm interested in! Good work HTC, It's a shame about the 16GB non-expandable memory and image stabilization but apart from that the rest was all just unnecessary, The Speakers, construction and size is what matter to me and this is the perfect size, I deem anything bigger than 4.5inches as leaving the "phone" segment and not really pocket friendly, sure, my pocket can hold a bigger phone, but then keys, wallet, girlfriends keys, money and phone need to fit in there too!

This is probably the first real iPhone competition for those who don't want a big phone. It is a bummer about the 16GB, but you'll just have to off load your pictures a bit more often. I have an HTC One and I use the IR blaster occasionally, but it's not a daily thing. The super-high pixel density also really isn't necessary, but it's sort of how it turns out if you want 1920x1080 resolution.

The slower processor also probably isn't a worry because the resolution is lower.

MilwaukeeMike, which phone are you referring to? The One Mini screen resolution is 720p, not 1080p. It's there in the article.

MilwaukeeMike, which phone are you referring to? The One Mini screen resolution is 720p, not 1080p. It's there in the article.

He was talking about the HTC ONE.

I have an HTC One and I use the IR blaster occasionally, but it's not a daily thing.

I'm upgrading tomorrow and I still can't decide between the GS4 and the HTC One.
buy both? :) (if you're married, give the other one to your partner:) )

This is probably the first real iPhone competition for those who don't want a big phone. It is a bummer about the 16GB, but you'll just have to off load your pictures a bit more often. I have an HTC One and I use the IR blaster occasionally, but it's not a daily thing. The super-high pixel density also really isn't necessary, but it's sort of how it turns out if you want 1920x1080 resolution.

The slower processor also probably isn't a worry because the resolution is lower.
C'mon man. 4.5" is still too big as far as I'm concerned. 4" is a good size in my book. Apart from that it looks ok.

I'm upgrading tomorrow and I still can't decide between the GS4 and the HTC One.

They're both great phones, but if you take a lot of pictures and/or have kids I would look at a couple youtube videos of the HTC One's highlight videos before deciding. It's a very cool feature and not talked about very much. You also have to see it to really appreciate it.

They're both great phones, but if you take a lot of pictures and/or have kids I would look at a couple youtube videos of the HTC One's highlight videos before deciding. It's a very cool feature and not talked about very much. You also have to see it to really appreciate it.

Thanks for the input Mike! I think I'll be going with the HTC One after all. Now I just need to get familiar with ADB again since I won't have ODIN to use for rooting and flashing ROMs like I did with my Galaxy 2.

Back