HTC reportedly exploring a sale of its Vive VR business

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Taiwanese consumer electronics maker HTC has reportedly reached a pivotal crossroads.

The company, once regarded as one of the world’s top smartphone makers, has fallen on hard times in recent years. It has found some semblance of success with its Vive virtual reality business but according to a report from Bloomberg, that may not be enough to stave off big changes.

HTC in mid-2016 spun off the virtual reality business into a separate wholly owned subsidiary. The move didn’t change much from a consumer standpoint but it was a bit telling from a business point of view. Now, sources are relaying to the publication that HTC is exploring the possibility of selling off the VR unit.

HTC as a whole going up for sale is less likely, one person said, due to the fact that it wouldn’t be an obvious fit for a single acquirer.

In addition to smartphones and the aforementioned Vive VR platform, HTC over the years has dabbled in tablets, standalone cameras and fitness devices. Indeed, finding a buyer that’d be interested in jumping into all of those categories would be difficult.

HTC didn’t immediately respond when pinged by Bloomberg for comment.

Earlier this week, HTC slashed $200 off the cost of its Vive VR headset. Most assumed the cut was made to better position the Vive to compete on price with the Oculus Rift. In hindsight, there may be more to it.

It’s worth noting that nothing has been finalized and HTC could elect to simply continue business as usual without any strategic changes.

Lead image via Adam Patrick Murray, IDG

Permalink to story.

From what I can tell, the general consensus among Vive owners is that, though they love it, they want to jump ship ASAP due to how HTC's been handling support and pricing. With LG's headset on the horizon, maybe HTC is expecting something...

From what I can tell, the general consensus among Vive owners is that, though they love it, they want to jump ship ASAP due to how HTC's been handling support and pricing. With LG's headset on the horizon, maybe HTC is expecting something...
What? I know a few Vive owners and none of them want to jump ship. They just want more games to play!

What? I know a few Vive owners and none of them want to jump ship. They just want more games to play!

That's what I'm thinking. I have had a Vive and a Rift and the Vive is simply better. The only people who buy the Rift are those who can't afford a Vive.

That's what I'm thinking. I have had a Vive and a Rift and the Vive is simply better. The only people who buy the Rift are those who can't afford a Vive.
I assume @Kotters Either can't afford the Vive or is waiting out for the LG and just wants to put a negative spin on the Vive.
Even when I started googling it, I could hardly find many posts wanting to jump ship from the Vive, I could find far more for the Rift though!

I'm going by r/vive, SA, and /g/, no need to hop into Defend Your Purchase mode. Don't start your fanboy bullshit.

I'm going by r/vive, SA, and /g/, no need to hop into Defend Your Purchase mode. Don't start your fanboy bullshit.
I haven't ever purchased a Vive, I just know a few people who have and a few people on this forum and none of them have ever said they wanted to jump ship, it appears to be the most solid VR offering out their at the moment.

No one here is doing that. I bought both my Vive and Rift used for friends and played around with each for a week. What I stated above is my opinion based on what I've seen. The Vive just has more features than the Oculus does, this isn't subjective, it's just fact. Like I said earlier, there is no reason to buy the Oculus if money isn't an issue.

Back