HTC shows off Flyer tablet in 6-minute video

Emil

Staff

HTC is trying to build a bit of hype around its upcoming tablet. As such, the company has released a video on its official YouTube channel. The video shows off some of the tablet's unique features, including HTC Sense, HTC Scribe, as well as its OnLive gaming system.

Here's the video's description: "Introducing the HTC Flyer -- the big screen that's small enough to hold in your hand. The premium unibody construction looks great and feels solid in your hand, while still keeping the weight to less than a paperback book. Plus, it does most things your PC can -- and more!"

The video would suggest that the tablet is geared at college students and business people, given its advanced note-taking capabilities and the fact that it comes with a stylus. The company clearly believes this little bit will help it differentiate its product from the many tablets coming out this year.

HTC officially unveiled the 7-inch device at Mobile World Congress 2011 last month. The HTC Flyer touts a 1.5GHz single-core CPU, 1GB of RAM, 32GB of flash storage, an aluminum unibody construction, and a 1024x600 resolution. Other features include a 5MP camera on the back, 1.3MP front-facing camera for video conferencing, HSPA+ support, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi.

It's not clear if the device will be powered by Android 2.3 (codenamed Gingerbread) or Android 2.4. We do know, however, that it won't arrive with Android 3.0 (codenamed Honeycomb), which is specifically designed for tablets, but that users will be able to upgrade to it when it becomes available. HTC is more concerned with getting its tablet on the market as soon as possible than having it run Google's latest and greatest.

Permalink to story.

Does everything a pc can and more??

My wow installation would fill the hd in one fell swoop :)
Keybinding would be a bugger.. ( no keys)
Cant imagine the framerates would be any good..

If i need to send an email while looking cool, and lose all sense of value for money ill get one!!

Unless this tablet is very affordable (Meaning around $300 or less) I am not very impressed when it comes to its features. Most tablets have a dual core processor now, honeycomb, and a better resolution screen. The one feature that I do find interesting though is the ability to record audio while writing notes. For me this would be an extremely useful feature. Does anyone know if this is possible on other android tablets via some sort of app or is it unique to this product?

TrekExpert said:
Unless this tablet is very affordable (Meaning around $300 or less) I am not very impressed when it comes to its features. Most tablets have a dual core processor now, honeycomb, and a better resolution screen. The one feature that I do find interesting though is the ability to record audio while writing notes. For me this would be an extremely useful feature. Does anyone know if this is possible on other android tablets via some sort of app or is it unique to this product?

Its probably going to be near $700 like all these other lame tablets are...

I just got a nook and rooted it. Thats $250, and as some apps dont work, I've gotten it to do what I like it to do. Regardless, I love my nook, and I'm waiting on Otterbox to come out with a nice case for it.

TrekExpert, if its recording notes, or writing, why would you need both at the same time? I would think it to be a hassle to go back through... but maybe, for presentations? I dunno... never thought of needing that ability for note taking..

trillionsin said:
TrekExpert, if its recording notes, or writing, why would you need both at the same time? I would think it to be a hassle to go back through... but maybe, for presentations? I dunno... never thought of needing that ability for note taking..

The advantage of having both at the same time is that you can record and write the most important parts and diagrams. The disadvantage of only having recording means you don't have the diagrams or notes. The disadvantage of only notes is you can not go back and listen for something you missed or can't understand.

Back