Huawei confirms it won't be selling the Mate 20 and Mate 20 Pro in US

midian182

Staff member
In brief: With their slew of features and gorgeous designs, Huawei’s recently unveiled Mate 20 and Mate 20 Pro are gaining rave reviews, with some hailing the latter as this year’s best Android phone. Sadly, as expected, Huawei has now confirmed that neither device will be sold in the US.

Speaking to Business Insider, a Huawei spokesperson said both phones wouldn’t be available from US carriers. They did add that international variants of the handsets may be available from certain US retail sites but warned buyers to check network compatibility first. The Mate 20 series uses GSM, which is used by AT&T and T-Mobile but not the other big carriers.

Another disadvantage of buying a European or Asian version of the Mate 20 from an online retailer is the price, with the Mate 20 Pro starting at $1215.

The news doesn’t come as a huge surprise, given the problems Huawei has faced in the US throughout 2018. At the start of the year, both AT&T and Verizon dropped out of deals to distribute its handsets, reportedly due to political pressure.

In February, six US intelligence chiefs warned against using Huawei and ZTE phones. Bosses from agencies including the CIA, FBI, and NSA said using a device from one of the companies could put you at risk of having personal data accessed or stolen—a result of their alleged close ties with the Chinese government.

August then brought news that President Trump had signed a defense bill prohibiting the US government from using Huawei and ZTE tech.

Despite the restrictions and price, it’s expected that plenty of US-based Android fans will buy the Mate 20 Pro. It’s the first Android phone to ship with a 7nm chip (Kirin 980), has a triple rear camera, reverse wireless charging, a massive 6.4-inch OLED screen (3120 x 1440), 3D face unlock, and 4,200 mAh battery.

Permalink to story.

"Bosses from agencies including the CIA, FBI, and NSA said using a device from one of the companies could put you at risk of having personal data accessed or stolen—a result of their alleged close ties with the Chinese government."

They mean accessed or stolen by some Chinese agency instead of by their own respective agencies. Because, as we all know, there's a difference...

U.S. government, and in my opinion, the duopoly of Apple/Samsung, k-street lobbyist, shut them down.
Chinese spying? HA! Every Apple or Google phone "spies" on you, not to mention the alphabet agencies
in the USA. I suspect, Apple/Samsung didn't want any competition in the USA, since to really sell phones
here, you need carrier branding, so they can offer you the phone for 100 bucks a month or less, instead of
paying outright, 1000.00 or more. They have a sweet deal, most people in the USA still buy from carriers, so you have to get a carrier branded phone, to get the no interest financing. Feature striped, features blocked, bloated.

Ahhhh another reason why the world is just silly to me

"In February, six US intelligence chiefs warned against using Huawei and ZTE phones. Bosses from agencies including the CIA, FBI, and NSA said using a device from one of the companies could put you at risk of having personal data accessed or stolen—a result of their alleged close ties with the Chinese government."

you mean just like what GM just got caught doing, spying on us? like facebook? like windows 10? like all of these smart tvs we were told about that spy on us all the time this year?

the list of allowed things the united states has that spies on us is insane, yet 2 phone companies aren't allowed to sell their devices here and it's basically a cultural ( I dare say racist ) thing and we just don't want those companies making money in our country. yet ironically they make better phones that aren't bloated with insane amounts of garbage (oneplus xiaomi zte etc) I think trump brought zte back/is in the process.

these phones aren't allowed to be sold here also because of their low price, which would take away business from overpriced Samsung and Apple sales etc. You know, sort of how weed in the united states is still being outlawed and fought against because it would take away from the prescription drug industry.

This is literally the same hat but it's being worn at a different party. That's all this is. More garbage policies that will keep the rich people making their money.

I also completely agree with P5 up there. All of these carriers are enticing people by letting u walk out with $1000 with a financing plan. It draws people in and makes them think they're getting the best phones for a good deal. Technically they are, but like he said. The phones are extremely restricted. Many features are locked away, tons of bloatware installed that you might not be able to do anything about unless you root your phone (it's getting much more difficult to root flagship devices, it's insane.) Not to mention your phone you buy from said carrier is most likely sim locked to that carrier as well (I know sprint works this way) and so much more bs. At least with these chinese phones you get what you pay for and NOTHING is locked away nor is there stellar amounts of bloatware AND the bloatware they include (from what I've seen) will be little programs that can be handy that are made by the company who made the phone, which is fine. I've also noticed this said bloatware is easily removed and not locked away to where you need a package disable or a rooted phone to get rid of these things.

Last edited:
Priced as apple chinese device... I d rather buy apple and resell for good money when I need another chinese device price like Apple.

Back