Huawei Mate 9 Review: A Flagship Phablet

Appears the term "Flagship" is now the new word for "cell phone" since everyone makes the same claim ..... can't wait till the day comes when the rotary dial returns .... !!!! Wooo Hooooooo

I bought a Mate8, about 4 months ago. Why didn't I wait for the Mate 9? Because I can't see paying 600 dollars for a phone, no matter how good it is.
I ran a Mate2 for close to 3 years. Very stable phone. GREAT battery life. When the Mate8 came out in November of 2015, I was looking forward to it, but the price tag (around 600 dollars) I said no. When the Mate 9 was released, the price of the 8 DROPPED to around 440 dollars. The faster processor & dual camera were no concern to me, as the jump from the SD400 chip in the 2, to the faster chip on the 8 was a speed boost. The camera on the 2 & the 8 were good enough for my use. Anything I really want to capture, I use my Nikon D7200 anyway.
If people want to spend 600 dollars, upwards of 1,000 dollars for a phone, hey, more power to you, but, to me, it's just not justified. Each year, faster and faster smartphones come along, but at what benefit? Other than benchmarks, in the "real world" not much benefit. A gimmick/novelty here and there, and people pay over 1000 for them.

I feel really bad about the reviews of smartphones; there never is a rating for phone sound reproduction.

I have a hearing loss and for me a phone that has a good (or great) ability to re-create the voice message is very important; more than that of the camera, the battery, the looks, etc.

Such a shame that the rating for a phone do not include what we really buy the phone for, to hear our friends, clearly and accurately.

Got mine about a month ago when they launched it. Loved the Mono Chrome camera and especially the Light Painting (long exposure) mode. Other pros - Using the fingerprint sensor to to bring the notification drawer down, swiping thru photographs.
The on-screen navigation buttons could be bigger, thought I like the option of having the Notification drawer button as well.

The phone fell from my wife's hand on the 14th day. With a Spigen full body cover on. The touch panel shattered, even though the display was fine. Huawei customer support was prompt (they have a priority line if you are calling about the Mate 9), got the phone repaired at NO Cost!

I feel really bad about the reviews of smartphones; there never is a rating for phone sound reproduction.

I have a hearing loss and for me a phone that has a good (or great) ability to re-create the voice message is very important; more than that of the camera, the battery, the looks, etc.

Such a shame that the rating for a phone do not include what we really buy the phone for, to hear our friends, clearly and accurately.
You are like me...someone who still uses the phone part, more than the rest of the stuff on a smartphone.
I typically use 1500-2000 minutes per month on the phone (work/personal), with about 70% of it work
related. You are right. You NEVER hear them say anything about how well it works as a PHONE.
I guess that is because your "typical" user never uses the phone part. ;)

Back