Hundreds of Twitter accounts taken over by Turkish hackers supporting President Erdogan

midian182

Staff member

Twitter has just experienced a massive hack affecting hundreds of accounts, including high-profile ones from the likes of Amnesty International, Forbes, Unicef USA, and BBC North America. The attackers appear to be supporting Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who recently compared Dutch and German officials to Nazis.

The hackers posted a number of messages in Turkish that read: “卐 #NaziGermany?#NaziNetherlands, a little?#OTTOMAN SLAP for you, see you on #April16th,” a reference to the date of Turkey’s referendum that could see its president handed more power. They also include a link to a pro-Erdogan YouTube video.

Reuters reports that accounts belonging to CEOs, publishers, government agencies, politicians and some regular Twitter users were compromised.

The hackers gained access using third-party analytics firm Twitter Counter, which can send new tweets from the accounts of people who sign up to the service. This is the second time it’s been compromised; in November last year, Twitter Counter was used to send spam tweets from various accounts, including PlayStation, The New Yorker, and Viacom.

The company has confirmed it was hacked and is starting an investigation into the matter. It has changed its Twitter app key and is currently not allowing any tweets to be posted through it. Twitter Counter confirmed it does not store its users’ passwords or credit card information.

Twitter gave the following statement regarding the incident.

We are aware of an issue affecting a number of account holders this morning. Our teams are working at pace and taking direct action on this issue. We quickly located the source which was limited to a third-party app. We removed its permissions immediately. No additional accounts are impacted. Advice on keeping your account secure can be found here.

Permalink to story.

Sure Erdogan, the Dutch are the real Nazis here and not you. Not at all surprising in a world where a rapist who just by saying there is no one who respects women more than him is able to wash his hands off his sins and becomes president.

Please tell me they managed to get Trumps twitter? His password is probably 12345, the kind of password an id1ot would have on his luggage.

Sure Erdogan, the Dutch are the real Nazis here and not you. Not at all surprising in a world where a rapist who just by saying there is no one who respects women more than him is able to wash his hands off his sins and becomes president.

Oh come on, when you paint anyone with an image this bad it has to be wrong.

Wake up would you, you think that the whole country including the opposite political party would stand by his side against a military coup?
Why is it that every country opposing the USA is seen as a pro rape goat****** terrorists.

The man achieved unprecedented economic growth under his leadership, get your facts straight.

Oh come on, when you paint anyone with an image this bad it has to be wrong.

Wake up would you, you think that the whole country including the opposite political party would stand by his side against a military coup?
Why is it that every country opposing the USA is seen as a pro rape goat****** terrorists.

The man achieved unprecedented economic growth under his leadership, get your facts straight.
Erdogan's methods are closer to the Nazis than the Dutch.

Yes, because that's exactly what you've been told or exposed to by the media so that must be 100% true.

Tell me, how long have you lived there?

Yes, because that's exactly what you've been told or exposed to by the media so that must be 100% true.

You are right that my opinion comes from the media. But most of the time they are just quoting Erdogan.

Please tell me they managed to get Trumps twitter? His password is probably 12345, the kind of password an id1ot would have on his luggage.

Assumptions are a waste of time and energy but id1ot is probably necessary for your pink luggage.

Must everything be turned on it's side to find some trump issue? The story isn't about trump; it's about twitter being hacked. The people who take to technology sites to vent about trump are just mad because they think their state should be given more weight than the others.
13 states voted against trump.
36 voted FOR him
That's an overwhelming majority.
Get over it. Move on.

Maybe, if we go way out on a limb, I can see some logic in discussing Turkish Dutch and German politics in this response section but this article has nothing to do with the president of the US.

GTFO with your one sided libtard politics off techspot, if you want to start with facts, let me know.

Back