HyperTransport Watchdog Timeout Error

So I have recently bought a new GPU for my pc build, (AMD R9 290), fitted it and installed all the newest drivers since having fitted it the PC keeps on powering down and rebooting. Three times in one night etc. It's not under and load or at any specific point, can do it at idle it just seems to be completely random. Event log says this every time;
"A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: AMD Northbridge
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: HyperTransport Watchdog Timeout Error
Processor ID: 0"

As the GPU was new and a big step up from previous I thought it could possibly be the PSU, so since bought a Corsair 850W psu (over specced) but wanted to make sure it would be okay.
Error is still happening obviously.
I have updated to the latest BIOS from the asus website. I have done a memory check using memtest 86 all fine.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the GPU but still the same problem.
Processor is AMD FX-4170 not over clocked, I just dont know what the problem could be.
I was hoping if any of you guys could shed any light on it.
Any response would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!
(hope it all makes sense I have typed this quickly in fear of it rebooting haha!)
Can upload the mini dumps if that will help.
Thanks guys!

Check your voltage that your cpu is getting. This problem occurs between the AMD Northbridge and the cpu. Find out a) What the voltage that the cpu is supposed to be receiving, b) what the actual voltage the cpu is receiving via the BIOS, and c) if the voltage is off either set it to the recommended specs and if that isn't the case edge up the voltage in the BIOS and see if that brings stability.

Check your voltage that your cpu is getting. This problem occurs between the AMD Northbridge and the cpu. Find out a) What the voltage that the cpu is supposed to be receiving, b) what the actual voltage the cpu is receiving via the BIOS, and c) if the voltage is off either set it to the recommended specs and if that isn't the case edge up the voltage in the BIOS and see if that brings stability.
Been having a go at it today, taken the gpu out and run on the integrated graphics, no crashes, then put old gpu back in without changing the drivers and again no crashes. The fact that the 290 has a higher power draw wouldn't affect the voltage the cpu is getting, or would it?
Thanks for your response.

If you can, under the old hardware, check your voltage to your cpu via BIOS and your video card and and then with the new video card installed check the voltages again to both. Any difference? That Corsair should be more than enough so I am thinking there is a power setting not correct somewhere.

0x124 errors are a major pain because though it points to hardware issues it often doesn't lend itself to pointing out the exact cause. I know IT techs that avoid dealing with this error if they can. But since you have some diagnostic information at hand hopefully we know where the issue lies.

Im having a similar issue. The screen either turns black or it becomes one solid color for a few moments before rebooting. It mainly happens whenever I play graphically intensive games but recently it has happened a few times while simply web browsing. I checked the event viewer and I got the same one as above. I've heard that the problem could either be my motherboard or my cpu.
cpu: AMD FX-6300
gpu: Geforce GTX 770
motherboard: MSI 760gma-p34(FX)
psu: SPI Magna Gold Pro 850w
8gb ddr3 ram

This sounds like it might be a heat issue; AMD chips get hot and heat will cause all kinds of issues especially the kind you are relating. I want you to do this simple and yet effective diagnostic procedure:

1. Open up your case. Check to see if there is any dust build up especially on your fans, I.e., cpu, video cards, case. If there is a build up then get a can of air and spray it no closer than 6 inches to remove said dust. DO NOT TURN THE CAN UPSIDE DOWN.

2. If there is little to no dust then with side panel off find a small fan.
3. Have this fan on low setting blow directly into your system.
4. Now play your games, etc.

* What are the results.

This sounds like it might be a heat issue; AMD chips get hot and heat will cause all kinds of issues especially the kind you are relating. I want you to do this simple and yet effective diagnostic procedure:

1. Open up your case. Check to see if there is any dust build up especially on your fans, I.e., cpu, video cards, case. If there is a build up then get a can of air and spray it no closer than 6 inches to remove said dust. DO NOT TURN THE CAN UPSIDE DOWN.

2. If there is little to no dust then with side panel off find a small fan.
3. Have this fan on low setting blow directly into your system.
4. Now play your games, etc.

* What are the results.
I've cleaned it out dozens of times and atleast 3 times today. Ive setup the fan like you said and it still rebooted while I was on YouTube. I've also been monitoring the temps and the CPU stays between 26- 33°C while gamimg and the GPU ranges between 57-76°(the card was built to run at 80°C). Should I just get a new motherboard or is there a way to save this one?

Have you ever run Memtest on your RAM? Also, what error codes -- if any -- show when it Blue Screens -- if it Blue Screens?

I am also wondering if the issue might be with your power supply. Sparkle gets a lot of mixed reviews. If a power supply is faulty it will cause many issues. A power supply can be thought of as the backbone of any system. If you have someone who can do diagnostics on it with a volt meter by all means do so.

Back