I accidently deleted the partition from my external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was on disk management on my computer and i right clicked on my portable harddrive and accidently clicked delete partition how do i fix this. my hardrive wont show up in my computer or disk management so i cant partition it. i dont need to recover the data i already have it all backed up.

Unplug and re plug in the external drive while you are in Disk Management and see if an unknown device appears. You can also leave it plugged in and restart you computer. Do you get the "bing, Bong" USB connection sounds?

Right click on the deleted partition within Disk Management and select 'create new partition'

"My hard drive wont show up in my computer or in disk management so I can't partition it..."

Right click on the deleted partition within Disk Management and select 'create new partition'

So how does sukhpreet1996 right-click on something that is not there tuant?

Ah, didn't see that part. Sure, he can do what you suggests then after that create a new partition.

Thanks for pointing that out.

What data was on the hard drive, and is it replaceable? If the data on the external is still on your computer then all you have to do is reformat the external drive, if the drive had a special mounting program like maxtors or seagates then you may need a boot recovery utility for some of the more advance external hard drives. They sometimes ship with recovery software.

Hope this helps.

wefixpcsnyc : )

i cant format it because it doesnt show up in my computer or disk management but it comes up in the safely remove hardware thing without a letter.

Who makes the drive? Did it come with any data recovery software? Always check usb ports and cables and in some instances like with sata drives inside external enclosures you might have to reboot your system for the "raw drive" to be seen by the drive manager...

Hope this helps
wefixpcsnyc : )

If you actually want to get back the data from that partition you can grab a tool called REstorer, should be on google or something.

As for finding the disk again, plug it in before you boot up, then go to ControlPanel>Admin Tools>Computer Management>Disk management

At the bottom of the screen should be all the disks pluggged into your PC, just right click the empty space and make a partition, then grab that restorer tool and recover the files you deleted on that drive!

EDIT: I just realised that Restorer is $30, there is a free alternative here;

http://www.snapfiles.com/features/filescavenger-803-406688.php

If disk management still doesn't work, get your hands on HP's Format Utility, google is your friend.

Unplug and re plug in the external drive while you are in Disk Management and see if an unknown device appears. You can also leave it plugged in and restart you computer. Do you get the "bing, Bong" USB connection sounds?

You haven't answered my question. Is there any noise from the computer when the external drive is attached?

Several of the brands of Recovery Software will find and recover the partition with little problem.... But one big problem... they all cost money... from $30 to $130.... the good ones start at $50.
You can find most of them with a Google Search for Disk Recovery Software or Partition Recovery software.
Many will recover the partition and the Software easily if you have not overwritten that area of the drive.
There are probably 50 diifferent software packages. We have used,www.datadoctor.com or www.datadoctor.org, www.diskdoctor.net/partition-recovery,www.ntfs.com/partition-recovery-concepts.htm, www.avanquest.com, www.pctools.com, wwww.partition-recovery.com, www.ptdd.com, and www.acronis.com
Most will give you a free trial or test version... but you have to pay to use them.
Good luck. Please let us know how it goes.

well thanks for all the help but it didint work besides im only a 13 year old boy i dont understand all this computer stuff so i just asked my dad if we have a warranty.

Well sukhpreet1996,
if it isn't under warranty you can remove the drive from the external enclosure and put it inside your computer as a second drive. Then you might be able to "see" it and partition and reformat it... Any data on it is gone

Most people are geniuses at 13... I know I was. You must be.

You will recover the partition with one of the recovery software tools... or since you are 13, get a teacher, or a friendly tech in your neighborhood or town to do it for you.

Tmagic650 has a good idea, but you still probably need partition or file recover software to do it...

A good repair shop will have the software to do it, and you might talk them into it... if you play your cards right.

Yes sukhpreet1996,
I was taking guitar lessons in Southern California when I was your age. My first computer experience was with a Digital PDP8... 1975. With experiences like this, i know you will learn quickly :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back